Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

2 ply, 4ply, 6ply...

JP10

I'm debating on what ply ag tires to put on the rears of my next restoration project. I've decided on 23/10.50/12 for sure. I have 4 ply 23/8.50/12 Carlisles on another tractor and like them alot, but they are expensive the next size up. Saw a good deal on some 6 ply ags of the size I want but was wondering if they might be too hard. They are tubeless. What do you guys have or prefer? Thanks, J-P

depends on what I'm doing. if you found some in your price range get them. also depends on how ruff of a ride you want. I like 4 ply but that's me. the side wall on a 6 ply will not give as much like a 4 ply but most 2 ply will need a tube and the side wall are soft. 6 ply will last your life time...

I prefer 2 ply if I can get them. The softer tires follow the terrain better and give the best traction. Heavier tractors require heavier tires, so a 4 ply is usually the best for all around usage. 4 ply is better with heavy wheel weights and heavy implements. A 6 ply tire is usually too hard for good traction on these lightweight tractors and is actually made for heavier construction implements like the heavy duty ditchwitch and cable laying devices. I would only recommend the 6 ply tires if you operate in a area where puncture by thorns is very likely or a place like a construction site or an industrial area where puncture by nails or sharp pieces of metal are likely.

Hey Jp 10 if you come up to visit Montreal/Québec in Canada, I know this guy Réjean (450)454-4533 he as, 4 new Firestone All Traction Field & Road 23/8.50/12(2 plys)tires for sale at $50.00 cdn.(about $40.00 us)for sale. I bought 2 of them(he had six of them),and just today I installed them on my B-12(in restauration),it looks soooo good. Good luck. P.S he lives in a small town 1 hour south of Montreal.

I guess I'll stick with the 4 ply, makes more sense to have an all around tire. Found some Carlisles on ebay that should fit all my criteria. I'll just pay a little extra, these days you definitely get what you pay for. Thanks

I bought 6 ply for my Sunstar. They were so stiff that I could not get the bead to seat - even the tire shop couldn't get them to seat well enough to hold air. I ended up putting tubes in them.