Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Newbie needs help with a sunrunner-please!

hughjafj

I bought a sunrunner 1691331 from an auction last summer and I need to replace the drive belt. Is there any way to do it besides disassembling the pulleys? The manual says to take it to a dealer, so no help there. Please help me! My Ford 9N is just too darn big to cut the tight areas of the yard and it sucks mowing with a push mower. Thanks!

OK is a hydro - do you mean the belt that goes from the engine to the hydro(input) or the short fat one on the other side(output)?

Now I have the owners manual and service manual in front of me and they call the output belt a intermediate belt and the input a "V" belt... --- Input Belt -- set the parking brake to provide slack, remove four capscrews securing screen(bottem capscrews can be removed at screen or remove two capscrews securing screen bracket at frame, slip the belt from pulley, remove belt from idler pulley,fixed pulley, and engine pulley, loosen belt stops as nessesary, Place new belt on engine pulley, fixed pulley and idler pulley. Make sure that the "V" side of the belt rides in pulleys and flat side rides against fixed pulley. The belt turns 90 degrees between engine pulley and fixed pulley and between engine pulley and idler pulley.....more to come - Chris

Hugh, Sunrunners right on (and that manual is priceless on these things) as i just changed ALL the belts on my own Sunrunner. Ohh..and make sure you hook the electric clutch "anti spin rod" back up BEFORE you start the engine. BTW if its the sepentine belt on the other side you're talking about, if you just take the springs off the tensioners then a little finaggling and you can work the new belt in there and just hook the springs back up then.

Output belt - remove spring(top) from belt tensioning rollers.Swing LH tension roller out of way. remove spring(bottom) from chain tensioning rollers. Remove capscrew,flat washer, and flange nut securing left hand chain tensioning roller(LH tensioning roller must be removed to provide access to outer bearing retainer - next step.) remove capscrews(two locations) securing bearing retainer(inner side of pulley jackshaft). Jackshaft pulley can be positioned so that the hydro output(flat) belt can be removed from drive pulley(top). Lower jackshaft pulley so that chain can be removed. Remove chain. remove jackshaft pulley with belt attached from slot in frame and remove belt. Install new belt to pulley and reverse above steps to reassemble jackshaft bearing retainers and idler pulleys...Chris

Sunrunner, (I dont mean to hijack your thread here Hugh) do you know where I might be able to buy a good hydro pump for my 16 hp Sunrunner #1692375? Or maybe a place that rebuilds them??Advice? My belts were slipping as well and after I replaced them it appears the hydro itself is not pulling very well. Its ok and pulls great when its first started and cold, but when it gets hot the hydro gradually loses speed and wont hardly even pull the tractor even on level ground, let alone try and mow with it. Thanks in advance, Randy

So you got the updated model - nice^ - I have a 1691331 also and we have to manually engage our mowers:D- as far as the hydro - it took me ages just to find a service manual for the Eaton 7 - I will look back in my bookmarks to see if I can find anything(was more interested in info at the time)or see what model you have and see if I picked up a manual for it?? or is it still an Eaton 7??

LOL yeah the electric clutch is really nice! I didnt realize the older models didnt have that. So ....sorry Hugh, and you can disregard my "anti spin rod" thing. Sun, As far as what hydro it is..I really have no idea and although ive looked at both the svc manual and the parts manual I cant find a single thing that says any model number for the darn hydro. It looks just like the illustration you have above and the serpentine belt , etc. goes on just like that too if that helps.

I'll do some looking with your Sunrunner model# when I get some time - Check this site out for local eaton dealers[url]http://web2.fluidpower.eaton.com/DistributorLocatorHyd/DistributorLocator.aspx[/url]

Also...Ive looked but I cant find a drain plug in the hydro. I was gonna try and change the fluid and see if it helped but...sm00:D

Looked up your model - Looks just like the earlier ones but with some (alot) of improvements - Looks like a Eaton 7 for now - Drain plug...Look at this PDF[url]http://hydraulics.eaton.com/products/pdfs/07-403.pdf[/url]

Thats AWESOME Chris!!:) Looks like there are 10 dealers not too far away from me! Thanks ever so much!! I REALLY appeciate that service/ OH info too!!8D Just looking at that, and I think if i got a kit i could rebuild that puppy myself. it doesnt look too difficult really. Looks like a project for me.8D THANKS Bud!You da Man!8D

Thank you very much Chris!!! That's exactly what I needed! I need to replace the short fat belt since it was half gone and started slipping going up small hills. Thanks a million!