Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sign in to follow this  
McGill

Do I need a Battery?

McGill
OK, I got the two broadmoors home. I'm trying to start the one without a starter,Starter is missing becouse the guy didn't want to pay $100.oo for one. He put a pull rope on it. Do I need to have a battery in it to start it with a rope? Also the other one has a started/generator I think. It looks more like a generator from a 55 Chevy. How can I tell if it is in fact a started/generator?

Yeoman627
You shouldn't need a battery to start the engine. The Broadmoor used a battery to crank the starter[/generator] and power lights (optional). You should check for spark. On the other one, the starter/generator should be a black, cylindrical-shaped unit (approximately 8 inches tall and 5 inches in diameter), with electrical terminals located on the bottom. It is mounted on the right side of the tractor. In addition to the starter/generator, there should be a voltage regulator mounted on top of the engine. Regards, TK

grandpawrichard
I agree with Thomas, you need to check to see if you are getting spark! Sounds to me like you have a bad set of points or a bad resistor. Dick Aka: grandpawrichard