Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Transmission Hard Shifting

I have a 3310v that has a 3spd. trans. It is very hard to shift from 1st-3rd, 2nd-reverse. It doesn't grind when shifting, but very difficult to go in gear. I have replace all the keys and one of the gear that goes on the pulley shaft. I checked all shafts for burrs and rough spot, all look good to me. Any help will be greatly appreciated. Thanks Steve

Does it make any differece if the engine is not running when you try shifting? Is the trans belt coming to a complete stop? If the belt is still creeping it can be hard to shift gears.

What exactly do you mean when you say very difficult? Was it much easier before and now needs a lot more force to get into gear? Is there excessive play between the shift lever and shaft connection? The bolt will wear after a while and need replacement/tightening.

If the gear sets slide back and forth on the shafts OK when disassembled I would say something is not being reinstalled properly. Did you try it without the cover in place before? Also what is the history that you know of - did you get it like this or was it at one time shifting OK before?