Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sat morning fun at Owenlea Farm

fwo

We planted 5500 mums today.

Here we are just finishing and headed back to the barn.

Checking a lead weight dripper.

Turning on and testing lead weight drippers.

Some of the helpers. We had about 15 helpers.

Saw this when we went to lunch. This is five miles from the farm. No one at the house. I'm going back tonight.

WOW!! You had a BUSY day!! Nice though at least. Your Amish use rubber tires I see . In our area (Adams Co. IN.) nothing but wood and steel on theirs and open buggies. The girls dress a little different over there than here too. Lotsa dairy herds this side of the OH line in my area to. My cousin milks about 150 right now just down the road, and in fact I was a can milk hauler myself back in the day and hauled Amish milk into Equity Dairy in Fort Recovery OH. YUP Those cans were heavy even then! LOL But, BOY did I have muscles back then from the "free" workout 7 days a week! :) Strong back and weak mind ya know! LOL Randy

Hi, The Amish here in Homerville don't use rubber tires. That trailer belongs to me. The girl in the trailer isn't Amish. That is typical Mennonite dress. The girl on the AC720 is my niece (Methodist). All the other helpers (not shown) were my children and grandchildren. We worked off hay wagons that we moved around with the Allis 720, the horse and the Artic Cat 4-wheeler. The horse is good for this as he can use his own judgement as to when to move the wagon further down the row. The potting soil was in ten large fabric bags, 4' x 4' x 4' on pallets. The 5500 plastic pots were in boxes of 150 stacked 6 feet high on a pallet. The mums were in 1203 flats (36 per flat, each flat 11"x22"), so we had about 150 flats on three wagons. We split the potting soil bags in the center of hay wagons. We worked around the outside of the wagon filling pots and inserting mums. The little people ran the pots over to the drip lines and ran more mums over from the mum wagons. We had 4 five year olds and 2 seven year olds, one eleven, one 14, one at 16, 2 at 19, my kids (young adults) and me at 62. I was still the fastest worker. Of course everyone got a chance to do every job. It was lots of fun.

It would take me an entire day to count to 5,500!! Looks great!! Looks like new horsepoer met old horsepower too! :)