Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Clutch cone nearly comes off.

SimpleMan

Hi everyone. I need a verification on something. The clutch cone, on my '98 Sovereign has nearly "spun itself loose" on a number of occasions. I finally got tired of it and put some medium strength loc-tite on the shaft and then tightened the nut that holds the cone in place. I'm thinking that this is not the normal way to do this...(even though it is working). Is there supposed to be some kind of lock washer, (or?) between the nut and the cone? I tried to put on a regular lockwasher, but it was so thick that I could'nt get the nut started. Thanks all for your help. Gordu

They normally use a centerlock nut that should be torqued to a specific spec. Also once removed it should be replaced because it may loose some its holding ability. You should not be able to spin it on by hand very easily. The locktite may work in its place but I would invest in a new OEM nut. Also make sure the key, keyway, threads and cone are not worn as it otherwise may not hold.

Hi, Right on Jeff. If the key is loose, you will never be able to keep the nut tight, also if the retainer ring behing the clutch plate is out of the groove, you will not be able to properly "tighten" the nut. Good luck, Al

Thanks for the help. Went to the local dealer, and picked up a new locknut, and had them give me the torque value. I've checked the key, keyway, and cone for wear, and the retainer ring. Everything looks fine. So, if all goes well, I should be ready to roll once I've replaced the old nut with the new one (on the tractor that is ha ha). GordU

Heat generated when mowing on the clutch might loosen up the lock-tite.A new lock nut is the thing to get. And torque it properly.