Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Starter Gen Belt

toyotalineman

I am having a problem with a starter gen belt on a 12 hp briggs motor. i am using the correct belt but the starter is pulling out way to far, with no ajustment left in the bracket. Please help. Also I changed the starter gen bracket and no change in this problem

Over the years, something might have changed. Anyway, the quickest I can offer is go to a NAPA auto parts store and get an inch shorter belt then what you have. Get only the 3L green belt as that don't stretch like the black 3L furnace belts.. That will move you SG about 1/2" closer to the engine and allow you some tightening.

Thanks BLT for the information, but i don't understand why the simplicity belt will not work that matches up with the manuals?

You didn't mention where the 12 HP Briggs originated. At least 2 different types of S/G mounting brackets were used on Simplicity, A/C, and Homelite tractors. They take different belts - 37.5" vs 39.1". My A/C B110 and Hometlite T-12 take the smaller belt; a Simplicity 7016H takes the larger belt. You may have used the wrong belt for the bracket on the engine. I've found "non matching" brackets vs the specs on some tractors. The mounting bracket weldments do crack and the POs probably replaced the bracket with the "other" type.

I have also found that almost all of my S/G pullies are worn to the point they dont let the belt grab. The belt rides all the way down in till it bottoms out in the pulley (not good). Don't know if this maybe your problem or as stated above the bracket is different.

quote:
Originally posted by firefoxz1
I have also found that almost all of my S/G pullies are worn to the point they dont let the belt grab. The belt rides all the way down in till it bottoms out in the pulley (not good). Don't know if this maybe your problem or as stated above the bracket is different.
I had that problem with my s/g pulley. Replaced it with a new, slightly larger dia. pulley. The larger dia pulley also spins the motor faster which helps with starting.