Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

HELP! I cant turn right!!!

kuchi36

I have a "new" 6216 that I picked up off of CL. Very decent shape some light surface rust on the deck and some scratches on the fenders. Both the engine and the "vari-ator" speed thingy work great. I was mowing some weeds in my stand of trees (1st gear slowest setting) when out of the blue I could not turn right. Going left is no problem. The steering wheel moves freely, front wheels move easily left and then back to center and every so slightly to the right. But that is it. I checked the rod and the connection points and everything appears fine. The mount on the left wheel the ear part is slightly bent down, but looks OK. When I turn left it hits the stop before the left wheel begins to rub on the steering rod. When up on jacks, it will spin the wheels both directions to full lock, but not with the weight of the tractor on it. Any help>???? THanks, Tim

Is the bolt thru the steering wheel still there? If all is connected right and working externally - then it's time to disassemble and check the steering gears - Chris

I am not familiar with your tractor, however, I thought I had a steering prblem and it was the wheel bearings. Jack up the front of the tractor and see if the front wheels spin freely. Good luck. JH

When you say no right - the steering wheel turns but the wheels don't and it does not happen when it is on jacks? - and you can drive straight and turn to the left only and then back to straight but no right? - Might be the steering gear(keyed and set screws) is off of its center mark where it meshes with the steering column so the steering wheel looks right when your driving straight - With it on the ground - what happens to the steering when you go right, past center, does it come to a stop or does the steering wheel turn and the wheels don't?? Chris

Well, I got it fixed. Tore it apart and found that that brass bushing on the left side (No. 5 in the illustration above) had broken off and the 1/2 moon gear that is keyed to part 12 had come loose. So when I would turn to the left the steering shaft would "pull" the gear down and turn the wheels, but when I would turn right it would "push" up the gear and since it wasn't keyed and the bushing broken, the gears would stop meshing. I called my local dealer and they have replacement bushings, MADE OUT OF PLASTIC, uuuggg. So I swapped around some of the other bushings on the right side that were not "load bearing" and put it back together. It is all working again! Does anyone know of a source for brass bushings so I can replace the broken one? Thanks for the help. Tim

I buy generic brass bushings at my local hardware store, and local machine shops. Most times I check there even before going to the Simplicity dealer who keeps bankers hours. Many times they are much cheaper when purchased somewhere other than the dealer. Since I have a lathe, if the bushing is close, then I can make it fit.:D