Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Tires

captainweezy

Does anyone know if I can put a set of Tri ribs(stock size)on the front of my Allis 712 or 917. The reason I ask is because if you look at the left front steering arm it looks like there may be a chance of it rubbing. I don't really want to purchase them if they are going to rub ! Thanks for the reply's and answers in advance. Shane

Mine do not rub....but they were very expensive! :(
[img]/club2/attach/Simpleton7016/Triribs2resized.jpg[/img]

[img]/club2/attach/Simpleton7016/triribsresized.jpg[/img]

Thanks a ton. I appreciate your pics. It doesn't get any better than that. I have a buddy that i grew up with that does me real good on tires so I will probably get a set. Thanks again

I have a set on 917, no rubbing issues. I have had mine about 2 years, especially like them for pushing snow with blade.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 7 months later...
"Mine do not rub....but they were very expensive! " But wow do they look sweet...and functional I am sure. I am getting the front end pushed all over plowing snow. I would think with the weight of the trip blade up front it would hold, not even a bit, maybe will try some chains up front. Seriously love the look.

• 2 weeks later...
Here is a few pics. They were a pain in the A## to get the last beed on. I am an old tire jockey and I had some bars so I did the mounting/dismounting myself. I have not used them yet. I have not really had a chance and have been laid up in bed the last 2 days with the flu. I will let everyone know how they do when I get some more snow. Its been raining like crazy here.

Very nice, and you will love them for ease of steering and traction for turning. I would have never guessed that they perform as well as they do. I love mine.

Ditto on what Josh said about the ease of steering and turning traction. Put a set on my '64 Landlord before winter. What a difference. Enjoy..........
[img]/club2/attach/JimH/Simplicity Garden Tractor Pictures and Info 019.jpg[/img]

quote:
Originally posted by Robert_Rainwater
Just curious, are these on 6" rims? I have the 4" tri ribs, but didn't know about the 6".
Robert, mine are 3.50x8" on my '64 LL Jimh

Soo, am I understanding that this style tire (tri-ribs) work well for pushing snow with a blade?? Hope so. I have asked several times if front chains work to steering in snow but no one has recommended using chains. Are tri ribs recommended for snow??

Thanks - Can't think right now, but would those fit my stock 15 x 6.00 - 6 rims or should I buy new ones? and where can I find them - Thanks again - Chris

The rims I used were the narrow ones, not the ones for the wide tires like you have. In fact, mine are on spoked aluminum wheels from a mini-bike.

I have three different sets. 3.5-8s, 4.8-8s and 16x6.5x8s and I love them ALL. I also have two sets of front Ags, narrow and wide, but there is drag link clearance issues with the lugs on both sets and the wide set doesn't like the sickle bar mower...lol. If I had my druthers, the tri bars win hands down over the front mounted Ags in almost all conditions I have here in the mid West.

quote:
Originally posted by sunrunner
Is there a "better" place to buy the tires IYO? and I'll look into the rims - Chris
This place has some fair pricing. http://stores.ebay.com/GCT-Wholesale

I got my 3.50x6 tri-rib tires from Rustybore's Tire Store on ebay. About $20 each, if I remember correctly. This is also where I got the 4.00x8 tri-rib tires that are on my 713S.