Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Update w/ pics to I really did it this time

AC_B-1Novice

I may have fixed the 6216 so it would mow without all three blades showing the cut by raising the front of the deck and mowing with the deck in the high posistion (to keep from scalping my lawn) but now I somehow chewed up my drive belt. I'm beginning to wonder if I will be able to get this mower to cut grass correcly. I really don't know what else to do after going through all the setup and having everything fail. Even with it all the way up it still cut the grass short. With all the good reports on this mower I just don't seem to be able to get it to perform as it should. If I were to sell it what are they going for? It runs great but I just can't get it to mow right. Thanks for any help. larry Here are the pictures that were requested. Hope they help.

Hello, I would check all of your idler pulleys. I recently had a mower that went through one belt and it threw another. I checked the idlers and sure enough the bearings were shot. I put on new idler and shazam it works great. When I engage my mower deck after it is warmed up, you don't hear any belt squealing noise, she just smooooothly engages. Just a thought. jh

I guess you mean the idler pulleys on the deck. I didn't throw a belt on the deck. I mowed some with it and put it away. When I went the next time to get it out and use it, it went about 15 feet and chewed the drive belt. I had run it before I adjusted the deck and raised the deck and had no trouble except for the bad mow job. However, I will do as you suggest just to be sure. Thanks

Check the clearance on your deck crossmember. The deck cross-drive belt has a tendency to rub on the bail crossmember if the deck is in certain posistions. The other place where these tend to wear is the faces of the pulleys. Check them with a soft rag. Rub it back and forth slowly and feel for any snags where the belt rubs. If there are any, sand them down with fine sandpaper.

I'm sure others will chime in here if I'm wrong but I believe your biggest problem is with the full length deck rollers in the rear, at least it usually is with most of the big frame tractors. After years of use the rollers wear down sufficiently that it makes it near impossible to get more than an inch or so of clearance on the mower blades. I've had several different large frame tractors and I believe the longest I've ever been able to mow the grass at was about 2 1/2". I'm almost sure that's about the norm but it could be as high as 3" with new rollers and adjustments toward the highest settings. There is also an anti-scalp roller hidden under the deck that may have come apart or is worn out too. These are all experiences I've had with the large frame tractors. I've never had a 5XXX series but I do have a 4211 that has a much different deck design that has what appears to be 2-4" roller wheels on each outside corner and then a third "under-deck" roller. Any of those get out of whack (as in worn out or fallen apart) and you're looking at problems. Also, it's not recommended to use your lift to control your cutting height as you've found out because it cocks the angle of the belt too much and chews it up. As far as I know you're only supposed to use the lift for transporting with the PTO disengaged and you're supposed to drop the deck completely onto their rollers when cutting. I'm sure if you do a search in the archives you'll find many discussions about the subject.

Just a guess but are your under deck anti scalping rollers worn to the point they arent doing any good any more?

I would also check to make sure that all blades spin freely (with the belts off. If you have any bearing seized in the drive line, you are adding resistance and are over working the tractor. Just a thought, good luck. jh

Thanks guys, I guess I will buy a new belt so I can drive the tractor and when I take the deck off I will check and recheck all of the above suggestions. I'll try to post the solution if and when I find one. Might be a while tho because I am dealing with a situation that limits my working on it right now but at least I know what to look for. ldt

Hello - Could you get some pics when you have time? I went over the owners manual for adjusting the deck and all seems to be simple enough - Would like to see your set-up and compare...The only time I ran into belt trouble is when I would raise the deck with the lift arm all the way with the mower engaged to cross the driveway - My lawn is FAR from flat and the deck is set at the second notch from highest setting, mow through gully's and such where the tractor is all twisted and the deck is still somewhat level ...Also the only rollers are on the height adjustment rod. Plus there is a support(big,flat and has a big hole in it) - Check to see if it is cracked, I had one that way...Chris

Larry: Check and make sure the belt guides on the drive system are in the proper locations. I've seen many belts ruined because someone had a guide on the wrong side of the belt. This is especially true on mowers/tractors with vertical shaft engines. Good luck, Dave

had a couple of 6216's. even adjusted at the highest setting with new rollers they still didnt mow high enough for me. i had the 48inch deck..i used a 4000 sereies 36inch deck and it mowed nicer and at a higher height. i have had 2 with 48inch decks and both were this way..

Pics 1,2,and 3 look different than my set-up - The roller bar is up farther(If pic 2 is the same height as 1,3)on the slider part on mine and in pic 2(is it me?) or does the lift lever look a little bent(bottom, where the cotter pins are...What height are you looking for? My blades measure +/- 3 1/8" at highest setting and add another inch if I pull the deck up....Chris

I have it back together. I backed off the clevises 4 full turns to lower the front of the deck. Sharpened all blades (they must be the originals and need replaced) and it mows ok now. However I have two issues to fix. The belt from the engine will come off if I push the clutch all the way in. There must be some way to adjust the idler pulley to prevent that. Also the steering is so that I have 10 to 12 feet between my cuts if I do a full turn. There must be something wrong. Any ideas are welcome and thanks for all the help so far.