Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Which way Piston in Cylinder? ( With Pics)

pungo

Finally picked up my motor from the Machinist,looks great!He said he had one issue to alert me to,the China made replacement piston Briggs sent has no "X" to show the proper placement in relation to the magneto side of the motor. Anyone here had this issue? I can write Briggs but maybe the thing can go in either way?

Hello Phil, nice Briggs, If its a 10 HP 243431, I have rebuilt 3 of them in a B110, and no X on the pistons and they run Great, I have never rebuilt any 12 to 16 HP, Good Luck..

It is a 243431 LPH, and I guess I can install it either way. However..if you look at the first photo the inner skirt seems to be recessed for some reason. I may just submit a question to Briggs to get an "Official Response", as well to just be ornery! I do feel you are right, the proof is in the pudding, your succesful rebuilds are the proof!

I rebuilt one of my 243431 about 3 years ago and had same problem with no x.I checked my old Briggs book and said it didn't matter if it wasn't mark on the 243431.The engine has the China piston and is running great for the last 3 years.I am not happy with the name china on the Briggs parts but at least they are available for us to keep these old tractors running. nick

that looks like the peice that goes in place of the plunger if you convert it from points to other ignition systems

That rig on the side is something Dalton, the Machinist did. He removed the plunger and placed a ball bearing inside a hydraulic fitting cap.Said it would work. The original estimate was 150 bucks but the final bill? 226.Yeah, this stuff can get expensive. To me,it will be worth it when I hear the sucker run.Like I mentioned in an earlier Post,I only intend to do 2,this one and the Wonderboy. Thanks to everyone for the kind words!

Hello Phil, That recessed in the inner skirt would be a good question for Briggs, would be interesting what they say, being you got no instructions with the piston, I cant believe its for the rod. It does have a good thick skirt, Good Luck..

Awesome pics, that thing looks great! It kinda looks like the China piston has a slightly thicker skirt which at first, made me think the notch compensates for this and provides rod beam clearance. The notch doesn't look wide enough though....maybe it's for extra clearance in case the rod has a lot of flashing at the parting line? Anyway, keep us posted with more pics!

I wonder if the extra thickness on the skirt is to keep the Chinese manufacturer from patent infringement problems? A couple of years ago, a wholesaler in Mississippi had some pumps built, sent a Homelite pump with a Honda engine for a pattern. The result was an exact copy, complete down to the paint, with a different name. Both Honda and Homelite parts interchange with the Chinese copy. Both the Chiese factory and the wholesaler took a nasty monetary bump from the original manufacturer. The engines are still available, painted blue, and Honda parts still interchange. Another thought, the Chinese part is likely a different alloy than the original Briggs, and the increased thickness is required because of it. The recess is likely as said, to clear extra flashing on the rod. If the Chinese are also making a rod, maybe the rod is not as thick as the original Briggs, and the notch is for their rod?