Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Finally Getting There! ( done)

RayS

Decided to restore my Deutz Allis 916H. Had it all sandblasted and I have a few more things to paint (hood and seat deck). Hopefully I can get it finished the 4Th of July weekend. New 16hp Briggs engine that I bought in West Virgina about 4 or 5 years ago off of ebay. Motor has not been ran yet. Have to make a new wiring harness. Got the new tires mounted yesterday. The black paint is low gloss black from TSC. Not a bad paint but slow drying even with the hardener added. The green is spring green from AGCO dealer and the rims are pearl grey from AGCO dealer. The AGCO paint dries fast. I will post more pictures when I get the rest painted.

Still need to add the hood decals and paint the grille and I should be done.

Finally done! I have 1.4 hours on it dialing in the new motor and moving it around. Alot of work, but really enjoyed the project.

Looks really nice! I like the solid gloss black. I have a 7016 to do and was thinking of using the current Simplicity color scheme.

I used VM & P Naphtha because the paint that I bought from TSC stated using that. I also used it in the AGCO paint. Wasn`t sure what to use in the AGCO paint since it said to use AGCO thinner on the can, which the dealer didn`t have in stock and said that they have never order it before. It was a 90 mile trip one way to a AGCO dealer that I could get the paint from. So I assummed that since both paints are a enamel I would try the VM & P Naphtha. I hope that it is OK to use in the AGCO paint. What I have painted so far has not given any problems. I also used the hardener that TSC sells. The primer that I used on most of the parts is a epoxy primer (very expensive) and other parts got a etch and fill primer and everything got a top coat of urethane primer. I am going to do my Allis Chalmers 916H next. I got the paint already for it and bought a gallon. This is the first tractor that I ever painted with a spray gun and was told that I could get buy with a quart of the epoxy primer. Don`t believe that. A quart of the epoxy ends up being two with the catalyst added but that isn`t enough either. I will be buying a gallon of epoxy for the other tractor. The paint is cheap compared to the price of the epoxy primer. The epoxy is as tough as nails. Gallons of the paint and primer is cheaper in the long run. My wife hates the green. So that told me to make that top priority:D. Especially when she said that John Deere green looked better.

My wife has always wanted a Deere because they are green, I just cannot wait until I can find a nice green agco to bring home.

Looks great Ray That's a very good looking tractor.I have been using tractor supply for paint to and very happy with results.I can't wait to so your tractor when its done. nice job nick

Black Belt Project from The President. This is the way it is done! Don't you hate proprietary Solvents?

quote:
Originally posted by johnmonkey
Looks like it will be a showroom tractor. jh
I want it to look good, but believe me it will be used. What is a proprietary solvent? This painting with a spray gun thing is new to me.

You are so right. It looked to me like chrome reflection but it was just the inner rear wheel.

quote:
Originally posted by RayS
I don`t have any hub caps.
I don't suppose these would work, would they?:D:D
[img]/club2/attach/BLT/CubCadetHC.jpg[/img]

quote:
Originally posted by BLT
quote:
Originally posted by RayS
I don`t have any hub caps.
I don't suppose these would work, would they?:D:D
[img]/club2/attach/BLT/CubCadetHC.jpg[/img]

No, But I bet you would be surprised what they would bring on ebay.