Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Seat Upgrade

grnlark

Like most Landlords I have seen, my original seat was wasted. Recently, I saw a picture of a tractor posted here with a seat from Tractor Supply that I really liked. So, I went to my local Tractor Supply and picked one up. Another memeber had mentioned that this new seat attached a bit differently with two bolts in the center vs. the original 4 bolts at each corner. I didn't really want to bolt the new seat directly to the pan for a couple of reasons. First, I was concerned it would put too much stress on the seat pan sheetmetal and eventually fail (weight and movement of the driver). Also, the original seat had spacers built onto the attachment bolts to raise the seat off the pan a bit. As a result, I decided to fabricate a seat bracket that would properly space the seat off of the seat pan while also distributing the riders weight on the pan evenly. As for the pan itself - yeah it needs some work - if anyone has a pan they're interested in selling, please let me know. My fenders are fine, but the pan itself has some cracks etc. I'd like to replace it.

Thanks! It probably took me 2-3 hours to put together - not bad. The only thing that was a little bit of a pain was tracking down end caps for 1.5" square tubing. None of my local hardware stores or Lowes/Home Depot had them. I finally found them at www.goodmansteelsupply.com.

Excellent fab work. Looks like a super strong bracket. I'm thinking the weak point is where your bracket bolts to the seat. Hopefully there's some "meat" in the seat metal so side-to-side movement in the seat won't cause a failure at the seat bolt holes.

What, no front/back adjustment? Just kidding,excellent work. I am still considering this seat option with a spring. My pan looks worse than yours,may just weld a top plate over the whole thing, stainless would be great. With that rig you may have a niche bootstrap Product!