Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Info on Bolens

Simplicity85

Hey Guy's, I not turning to a JD but I was thinking of a old Bolens like 60's era. What are the good and bad about these tractor's? Are they tough like a Simplicity and a AC? Or week? Have any of you had one?

Get a Bolens tube frame.("62-"78")They are VERY tuff,well made tractors.They also have a huge following.I have a 800 and two 1220's.Go to the "My Tractor Forum" Bolens section.This is my original "69 1220.

so since we are not getting the B10 we looked at because it is too expencive and far away. and the fact that my dad has found a bolens 1220 with snowblower, mower deck, and roto-tiller for $700 that he wants... is it worth it? anything we should look for, common problems? thanks

I have several Bolens tractors among them a 1225 I use regularly its the first hydro model Bolens made and I use a tiller on it.Its tough as nails heavier built than the AC/Simplicity of that era.The tiller also runs off a PTO shaft and it has hydraulics.Powered with a 12HP Wisconsin engine.Also have a large frame QT with hydro,3pt and hydraulics its a real neat tractor powered with a 16HP Onan.Don't confuse the original Bolens with the cheapie Bolens being sold now.Sort of like what they've done with the Allis Chalmers.

From what I've seen, the older machines are tough indeed. However, it seems there is far less support for this brand these days (parts, forums etc) which would certainly affect my decision to buy one.

quote:
Originally posted by Vassal
From what I've seen, the older machines are tough indeed. However, it seems there is far less support for this brand these days (parts, forums etc) which would certainly affect my decision to buy one.
Parts and support are GREAT for them.If you need info let me know.Pleanty of tractors and atatchments around also.They are VERY easy to work on too! :D

Here is a good bolens resource: www.sonnysbolens.com Many parts can still be had but they aren't very cheap.

well, we didn't get it. we called and the line was busy so we called again 10 minutes later and turns out the line was busy because somene had just bought the tractor so... what happened, happened

Lots of Bolens around and usually cheap they're one of the best tractors for the $$$$ that can be found these days.

I stand corrected!:I Thanks for the Bolens tips & link. I guess I gave up too easily on my recent search for Bolens stuff, but hey, I've got orange on the brain, what can I say!?!?