Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Tiller rebuild, updated complete

Michiganmobileman

Hello all, As the tine shaft on my tiller could not be tightened I did a tear-down and repair, lots of pictures. The bolts were originally threaded into the plate around the tine shaft with locknuts on the inside. All of the threaded holes were pretty well stripped so I decided to drill through the plate and weld the bolts in place. I did end up using grade 5 bolts, there were no marks on the original bolts but the bolts used at the top bearing plates were grade 5.

Ordered new bearings (another story) and gasket plus the felt washers and was already to start. Ended up getting new chain too. I put the tine shaft and the drive shaft through their mounting plates, added the felt washers, and set the shafts in place on the left side of the case. I then pushed the bearings over the shafts, tightened the mounting bolts, and lightly set the locking collars and set screws. I put the bolts into the center two gear sets from the bottom to hold them tight and in place. I then used a framing square across the top of the drive shaft gear and larger of the two gears, loosened the set screws and locking collars and adjusted the driveshaft height until I had the same measurement on each side from the square to the case.

Then did the same with the height of the tine shaft.

After putting on the old chains and giving the works a few spins I was sure the one of the chains would slip off half way through the first tilling job. So back off they came and I bought new chains the next day. Got the new chains on and started to grease the works up.

I ended up putting three tubes of grease in the case before it looked mostly full.

New gasket with a thin layer of RTV top and bottom. Put the mounting plates and felt washers on the right side and put the two halves together. Tightened up all of the housing bolts first then I pushed the other bearings on, checked to make sure the shafts were still square with the case and tightened all of the bearing bolts.

. Now I just need to paint the bolts and nuts on the case before I can put the shrouds and the hitch back on. Stay tuned hope to update with final pictures by this weekend. The milk crate seems to be just right for this project.

Finished painting Saturday afternoon. Reassembled and photos done Sunday morning. As I am color blind please forgive my color choice, looks pretty close to me, cans were on sale, Valspar International Harvestor white and Gloss black, used a can of spray on bedliner on the underside of the shrouds, thought this might last longer than paint, will see after I use it several times.

Thanks for the comments guys. John I hope it goes another 30 years, I expect not to need it by then, unless they send it with me when Im gone;). Greg

Thanks for the detailed pics. This is most likely a project for me in the near future. Rick

quote:
Originally posted by Chris727
Looks good. I think I need to overhaul mine.
Yeah i no me too.

WOW, new pics! Nice paintwork, it looks greatdOddOd I just started prepping a few of the brackets and pulleys for mine and wondered about original colors. I'm just curious if white is correct for the pulleys and belt guard? There are no visible paint remnants on the big pulley and I'm missing the belt guard anyway. I'm not freakish about a perfect restoration, I can only hope it looks nearly as good as yours! Thanks again for sharingsm06

Great job, this post should end up in the archives, very well done indeed. jh

Thanks again guys, The only picture I found of the tiller was on Simpletractors and showed the large pulley painted same color as the guard. The color is a slightly off white or cream color. I used the Farmer method of painting, remove the rust and loose paint, and make it all one color again. If I were to do this again I think I would take the time to straighten the shrouds, they are bent upwards from years of use, and I probably should have fixed the extra holes in the shroud that the PO cut to access the bolts. But I hope to not have to tear into it again, so will call this good enough. Greg