Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Early B-10 on the way!

THEPATRIOT

I paid for it tonight,be home in the morning!(pics on the way)Pretty clean condition,original paint with scratches/surface rust but not all beat up.The engine was rebuilt and has low hours.It came with a deck and snowblwer.I paid $400-.It has two problems,weak spark and the steering wheel won't turn!Any ideas what would cause these problems?

The early B-10 had two gears and a grease fitting accessed underneath the tractor. I had the same froze steering problem with mine and had to remove the steering gears, which will all come out easily, some PB Blaster and some heat on a vice and it was loose. You may have to remove the drive shaft to get it out but it should be an easy fix. More than likely the previous owner(s) forgot to shoot grease in that fitting causing the freeze.

Nice looking B-10. jack up the front and have some one turn the steering while you try to move the wheels left and right. I Have a b-1 that was froze up when I got it,I got it to move a little at a time and it finally broke loose. Saves tearing it apart.

I adjusted the points ans she fired right up and runs GREAT!Bad news is the the clutch linkage is somewhat frozen and REALY needs some lube!!!Also,how do you find the year of the B-10's???

Welcome and nice B-10, looks to be in great shape. It appears to look a lot like my big 10 which is a 1965. I don't know the difference between the two.

quote:
Originally posted by perry
nice B-10. also recommend straightening up the arm rest and rear fenders ;).
The fenders are very straight,the seat does need some work though...;).I got the steering and clutch working good now.This tractor is a nice driver now,all she needs is paint!(someday!):D

That is the first release B-10, and it's a 1964. It should also have a 23D Briggs which was only used in 1964 by Simplicity/ Allis-Chalmers. The B-10 was reintroduced in 1966 with a 10hp Briggs and a bumble bee on either side of the dash tower. (along with some other differences, but you get the idea) There are bushings in the steering gear shafts and in the axle that holds the king pins. I have had good luck by removing the grease zerks and spraying pb blaster in the zerk holes. All of this can be done with out removal of any of the steering components. You may have to clean out the old grease in the zerk holes in order to speed the process along with the pb blaster. Nice looking old B-10!!

The B&S 23D was produced in "63,"64 and "65.My engine was made in October 1963.I'm not sure if my tractor is a "63 or "64?I was told the early B-10's were made both years???