Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

powermax 4041

gregnorth

hey guys, got a question for the powermax experts. is it normal to have a clunking sound in the rear when you push the tractor forward or reverse on a concrete floor with the tractor off and transmission in neutral? when the front wheels are straight not much if any but if i turn the steering wheel to the right i get a rubbing sound in rear and when i turn the steering wheel to the left i get a clunking sound. maybe 10 times moving the tractor 2 feet. i just got it back from the guy that was doing my brake work. i'm just wondering if the guy messed up something or if this is normal when turning on concrete. i'll call him in the morning but i was hoping somebody on the forum would know. thanks, greg.

We'll need a little more info like where the noise is centered and direction(both forward and reverse?), and so forth. The bottom line is it shouldn't make much of any noise but there are always odd things on these older tractors.

well it sounds like it's in the differential area. seems to make the same clunking noise forward or backward when the wheels are turned to left which means the right rear tire travels farther then the left. i called the guy this morning to ask a few questions like did he mix up the drop houses but then i remembered he took them off with the three point arms still on so pretty hard to mix em up. he said to drive for a few days and use the brakes and everything seems to work fine, left brake works better then the right. i'll push it around tomorrow and see if the noise is less. i apreciate any thoughts you might have on what could be causing it. i also have a rattling noise coming from be hind the engine in the area of the double pulley. later, greg.

Does the noise behind the engine stop when you depress the clutch? As for the rear end, drain the oil and remove the seat and the rear end cover. This is not very hard and you can poke around and see everything turning. Jack up one tire and give things a spin and see if you can find any problem.

that sounds simple enough. i'll try it. as for the noise behind the engine, it doesn't change when the clutch is in or out. hope that helps. later, greg.

i also found that the right rear axel seal is leaking so i'm guessing HE didn't put the seal in correctly. maybe thats where the clunking noise is coming from. i don't have a clue but i'm starting to think HE doesn't either. i'll be taking it back to him next week. i'll keep you informed. later, greg.

well i ran it for 30 minutes today. did a lot of sharp turns. the clunking noise seems to a lot better, almost gone with wheels going straight. still some when turning but i guess that's just the way it is. the right rear seal is leaking worse then it was when i took it in so that's definitely not right. maybe he cut the o-ring. later, greg.

Does anyone have a pair of rear rims for a powermax tractor? mine rear tires are filled for using the snow blower and i bought new rear tires and i'd like to be able to just change them for each season. please let me know. thanks, greg.

• 3 weeks later...