Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Considering B&S Engine Overhaul -

Yeoman627

I have a B&S 19 cubic inch engine I put together from a couple of other engines I acquired. The intent was to put an 'engineless' tractor (Broadmoor 728) back in service. After getting the engine together enough to try it out, I mounted it in the tractor, hooked-up the fuel supply, and fired it up. It started and ran, albiet a little rough, so I tried making the usual carburetor adjustments. I was able to 'smooth it out', however, at one point it started smoking alot - I'm not sure if it was due to carburetor adjustment - so I had to shut it off to avoid pissing off the neighbors. I was forewarned by the person that sold me the used headless engine that it might be a 'smoker'. When I put the engine together, I cleaned and adjusted the valves. The piston seemed okay, although I did notice some side-to-side 'play' mid-stroke when using my fingers to push the top of the piston. In addition, I also noticed as the piston was going down, some residual oil on the cylinder walls. I am going to play with the carb adjustments tomorrow to see if the smoke was somehow related. However, I'm suspecting the engine may be a candidate for an overhaul - specifically oversized rings. Does anyone out ther have any experience with such a job ? Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Regards, Tom K.

Hey Tom! I recently rebuilt my 16hp B&S. I did'nt have to oversize though. Let me tell you a little about it..first of all, I really enjoyed that overhaul!! No kidding, Tom, I would do it again in a heartbeat! Secondally, if I did do it again I would've been better prepared. And lastly, I would wait until I knew exactly which parts I need to completely rebuild and then order...once recieved go to town!! To be honest, all I really wanted was to deep clean and inspect the motor for wear (I noticed oil consumption) As I dug deeper and deeper I was rejecting part after part...i.e. piston wear, then wrist pin wear, then conn rod wear and of course after 23 years the rings were shot too. I also replaced all gaskets and seals, all new parts in the carb and lapped the valves. Now that I look back on it, I regret that I didn't replace the valve guide seals, other than that, it's a brand new motor. A must to have is a B&S Service and Repair Manual that covers your type motor. That book will provide you with all the inside and outside specs on each individual part, torque values and of course guidance throughout the whole procedure. Also a must is a good set of micrometers and a couple of torque wrenches. As far as oversizing, I personally would not attempt that. The local small engine repair shop quoted me a fairly cheap price for cylinder boring. As it turned out, the i.d. of my bore was still within spec...after 23 years!!!!! If you get stuck, one of the motor heads here at Simple Tractors would be glad to help ya out! Good luck and have fun! Smokey