Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sign in to follow this  
61lrac

Alis Chalmers 712H

61lrac
Hello, I recently purchased an Allis Chalmers 712H in nice shape. Has the Kohler K301, 12Hp & mows like a champ...for about 15 minutes then wants to quit. I have replaced the coil, condenser, plug & tried using different gas with no luck. Starts easily, no smoke & runs smoothly (for a few minutes). It will idle, but when you throttle up, it sounds like it is choking down & dies. You can hear what sounds like a "chirping" noise coming from the carb (I think) when it is quitting. Any ideas? I really like the old machine & enjoy mowing with it. Thanks.

RayS
Does it have a fuel pump? I believe so. Also make sure fuel line has no restriction. There is also a screen on the fuel fitting on the inside of tank.

61lrac
It does have a fuel pump. I took the fuel line off at the carb (coming from the fuel pump) & there was fuel there. I will check that screen. I'm afraid I'm not much of a mechanic (I'm learning) Could the float sticking in the carb cause such a problem? Thanks.

OrangeMetalGuy
I have a 716H, very similar. Check (I'd replace) the fuel filter, also I put transparent fuel line on mine so I can visually check for flow. I try to keep a full tank so the weight of the gas in the tank minimizes air bubbles in the line.

61lrac
Replaced the fuel lines & filter. I do notice the air bubbles you mentioned. Still quitting after about 15-20 minutes. Going to try running a line from the gas tank directly to the carb to check & see if its maybe the fuel pump. If its not that, then I have no idea. Thanks for the quick replies!

IronPony
I'm with Levi and Chris. Are you using an OEM gas cap (they are vented with a small hole in the center. Check under the sheet metal cover for mouse nests that cause over heating. Also make sure you are using a gas filter that is ment for small engines not car engines. Small engines use one that is fed by lower pressure than the car type fed by much higher pressure. Let us know what success you have. Dan Welcome to the site/club.