Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Small engine novice...Briggs 15.5 just clicks

Whit65

Hi Folks, I posted earlier with a question about wire colors but I figured it out, thankfully. Now i'm back to my original problem. My starter went bad on my mid-90's Broadmoor, so I replaced it, and now when I turn the key, I just hear a loud "CLICK" under the dash of my broadmoor. Is this the Solenoid? It clicks loudly just once but I get nothing from my starter motor, which is properly hooked up. I do know that the battery is hot and good. What does this mean? By the way, it's a 15.5HP briggs, not a vanguard v. Can anyone help to troubleshoot this? Maybe along the way I'll learn a little about small engines, Thanks!! Greg

If you can spin the motor freely by hand then it is probably the silinoid. If this is a OHV briggs and you cannot turn the motor easily by hand ensure your valves are adjusted correctly. But it sound more like an $11 silinoid.

I'd happily replace the solenoid for $11 to see if that's it. I have read not to replace with a lawn & garden solenoid but an automotive one, is this correct or should I just use a L&G solenoid?

On my Allis 810GT I bought one for a Ford at Fleem Farm for I think about 6 bucks. Working great. I would go that way if you can, the ones for lawn and garden are much more pricy. Steve

Make sure your battery is up to snuff. Have it load tested. Then make sure all the connections on the battery and solenoid are clean. Also make sure the ground wire is grounded properly to the frame.

Cool, I will check all connections and ground as well as having the battery load tested. Then if I need to I'll hit Rural King or Fleet & Farm for a solenoid. Thanks everybody.

You need to check the new starter. I had a 14 Hp Vanguard vertical shaft engine. When you hit the starter, the bendix would move forward into the flywheel teeth, then go too far and jam. From then on it would just click since the gear was jammed and couldn't move. I ended up taking the starter bendix apart and putting some shim washers in to prevent the gear from going too far. It worked fine after that.