Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sign in to follow this  
MarksA-C

6518 is back in action!

MarksA-C
the 6518 has been partially disassembled in my garage since february when the trans was "acting up". After I started to change the oil in the trans I found out that the drive belt was bad...dz So after leaving it sit for how long I finally got a nice new belt from Napa and a new oil filter, and all that fun stuff. Now its back on its wheels! I dragged the mower out from under the tarp, welded the cracks that I've needed to for too long and its mounted and ready to go. Its been called up for mowing duty at the cabin for the rest of the summer. Its ready!

The only thing I still want to do before I take it up to the cabin this coming weekend is get a 10" or 12" fan and mount it in the grill for added cooling. This thing gets HOT after running for a few hours.

onebadfish
A great point is made in this post that I have been pondering. Everytime I run my KT 17 series 1 I am waiting for it to detonate. I have considered adding a cooling fan to the grille in hopes of keeping it cooler. I mow about 3 acres and it is always pretty hot when I finish. Being that the problem with the series 1 is oil starvation (I have been told) would there still be some benefit in keeping it cooler. I have to think yes but... any thought from those more informed here? It would at a minimum buy some piece of mind. Not trying to hijack your thread Mark. Thanks in advance, Tim

MarksA-C
Well, it was able to mow down 4-5 foot tall "grass" without a single problem. It is still at my cabin and it will stay there until fall comes then it comes home and gets the winter gear.

MarksA-C
Here is the one pic of I have of the 6518 working. i was pulling out a dead pine tree. It made a nice fire that night dOd
[img]/club2/attach/MarksA-C/tree.jpg[/img]

sunrunner
Give me a step by step on the tranny/oil change - still got to do mine,but a bit scared I might screw it upsm00 - othar than what the manual says, did you run into anything else - how did you go about the refill?? - Thanks Chris