Jump to content

Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sign in to follow this  
dmsmitty2004

The lastest project.

Recommended Posts

dmsmitty2004
After having been extremely busy with work, and chores around the house. I finally got a break to enjoy some tractor time. Got a phone call a couple weeks ago, from dad telling me to get hooked onto the trailer and get to the college he worked at immediately. Soon as I got there, this was loaded on the trailer and I was headed home. and for a heck of a deal too! I have worked on this tractor before, and got the call what to do a few months ago when it broke down. So I was expecting it, but not for the deal I got! Unfortunately, they had started to tear into in looking at possibly fixing it, so it was loaded on the trailer with the rear end pretty well torn apart, and what I was told should be all the parts laying in a box next to it. Last night I sat down and started in. Spent about 4 hours last night sorting through what I had, and getting it half way back together. I forgot to get before pictures, but no change compared to where I am at. Now for the pictures... Note that infamous box of parts!


The culprit, that led to a complete tear-down...


Here is a close up, with the new axle tube installed, after i got it in, and managed to sort through the box of parts and get the gears and all spacers in place.


Only money I have invested is the seal kit, and axle tube, so far. The motor was running when parked a few months ago, without a problem. It turns over good now, soon as I get the tractor on its own 4 feet, I will clean all the sand off it, and try to fire it. All that sand is from having been used primarily as the tractor to drag the baseball field. More pictures to come later. Well, sorry for the long winded speech, I am now going to head back out and see how much farther I can get.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
OrangeMetalGuy
Damn I didn't know you could replace the tube by just removing that side plate on the trans... I went the whole remove-the-entire-trans route. Question - I just put mine together the other day but am not sure of the washers... did you have one larger-id washer that slipped over the snap ring (on the end shown exposed above)... I followed the manual, and the way it's together now the washers rub on the snap ring (that one large-id washer isn't thick enough to keep the thrust washers off the snap ring). Just wondering if I have it together right.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
dmsmitty2004
quote:
Originally posted by OrangeMetalGuy
Damn I didn't know you could replace the tube by just removing that side plate on the trans... I went the whole remove-the-entire-trans route. Question - I just put mine together the other day but am not sure of the washers... did you have one larger-id washer that slipped over the snap ring (on the end shown exposed above)... I followed the manual, and the way it's together now the washers rub on the snap ring (that one large-id washer isn't thick enough to keep the thrust washers off the snap ring). Just wondering if I have it together right.
I only have one spacer there between the snap ring and the larger gear on the tube. the book calls for a spacer, and washer on mine, but there just isn't enough space. and when I took the old tube out there was no washer or spacer there. So far not noticing any problems, but I didn't make any more progress this afternoon on it. Someone else tore it down, except for the tube, and when I went through my parts I noticed about 7 or 8 washers, spacers, and a couple snap rings missing, putting a halt to the differential assembly (they took the whole differential completely apart, thinking it was the problem). And I gave up with a shaft not wanting to cooperate with putting the case on. I also question if I have it all done right. I was out real late last night into the wee morning hours looking through it, and deciphering the book. Now my question is, which is easier... take the rear-end off the tractor and work on it, or work on it like I did? This is my first time doing an axle tube assembly, and figured id give it a shot like it is.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
jdwilson
I did one on my 2012 15 years ago and took it clear off. May be a little more work, but alot easier on the back up on the work bench!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
OrangeMetalGuy
Well, having taken it all off I'd say without hesitation your method has to be a lot easier. For one thing, you only have to unhook one side, plus you were able to leave the hydro and lines intact. I had to cut the lines off. I know the way I have it matches the book, but it seems odd that the snap ring is supposed to shoulder any load... I wouldn't expect this.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.
Sign in to follow this  

×