Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sign in to follow this  
Michiganmobileman

When is a bad noise a good noise? new 3314H

Michiganmobileman
When the noise came from the bevel gear box and not the motor. Was going to move some rocks the other day and started the 919H up, headed to the rock pile and got almost there and heard a horrible screeching noise, Big squeal and everything stopped, my fears were the Kohler KT19 II took a dump. Pushed the girl back to the shed, removed the drive shaft bolts and the engine started right up, whew, what a relief, binding is in the BGB not the motor. So it happened that I needed a parts unit and with the wifes OK, upon a search of the local craiglist ads, low and behold look what I got for $100. (Not that the BGB will interchange but an excuse is an excuse)

With front clutch

electric lift

rear ball hitch custom made?

Briggs that he thought was a Kohler

All in all I was pretty happy to get it for the price over the phone. But add the electric lift and the front clutch and I could hardly keep the big grin off my face while loading. And then he throws in a nice heavy set of tire chains. Is this right to have a Hydro with the hole for manual shift?

Still need the correct BGB for my 919 but..... now I have one more tractor. Thanks Kathy(wife), Greg

PhanDad
Great find and even better price! I think there's a good possibility that the BGB will interchange. In my experience, on the newer model tractors, the only difference is the machining on the ends of the BGB cross shaft. The newer boxes all have the larger 7/8" input shaft which, IMO, is the important thing. Check it out, you may only have to buy a "custom" drive pulley since the 3414 has a cone clutch. Of course it would be a shame to part out the 3314, but you could always temporarily borrow the 3314 BGB until you find another deal for a replacement BGB/tractor.