Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sign in to follow this  
Simplicity85

Hemi Vs Chevy orange

Chris727
Never seen anything painted with the chrysler orange so my vote is still for DE1607 for the older tractors. Firefox had pointed out that Ford's Vermillion red is a better match but I don't think you can buy it in a spray can.

onebadfish
I can tell you that without question the real "hemi orange" of the 70's muscle car era has much more metal flake in it than appears at first glance. For this reason I dont think I would use it on a simplicity...although I must admit I am quite partial to the color.

Simplicity85
quote:
Originally posted by Simplicity85
quote:
Originally posted by gearhead19
Isn't "Hemi Orange" an engine color? Dan
Ya It is. This is Hemi orange

onebadfish
The general was I thought "vitamin C orange". The cars I have seen done in vitamin C have no metal in the paint so....I would try and get a sample from your paint store if vitamin C orange, 1970 Dodge or plymouth. The 'cuda above is Hemi Orange with metalic. The vitamin C is much closer to the Simplicty color than hemi orange which is darker and has metal flake in it. I use painters supply here in Michigan and they seem to be familiar with the 1970's muscle car colors. However, I found much to my disappointment that the color of the General may well be a GM color. I digress..haha Good luck , let us know what you find. http://www.jamesbest.com/general_lee.htm

HubbardRA
Jace, Paint it whichever color "you" like. The rest of us don't matter. We won't be seeing it and using it every day.

Vassal
FYI: there were two Hemi orange engine colors; street hemi and race hemi with the latter being noticably lighter, I guess you could say it has more yellow in it. Indeed, that is one bad fish!

Storm7012
quote:
Originally posted by pungo
Storm, I appreciate that photo of the shift pattern decal. Good stuff!
I got all the decals for this one from FS Decals on ebay.

Storm7012
quote:
Originally posted by ac.d17iv
Does anyone use AC orange, such as persian orange II or corporate orange?
I did on my 7016 but its too orange for the older ones.

onebadfish
quote:
Originally posted by Vassal
FYI: there were two Hemi orange engine colors; street hemi and race hemi with the latter being noticably lighter, I guess you could say it has more yellow in it. Indeed, that is one bad fish!
Thanks Vassal, I have owned her since 1981 when I was but a lad of 17ish. Bought her from an IV drug user, he had torn the rear bumper off of a chevy pickup while driving the 'cuda and she was in pretty rough shape. I finished the restoration in 1984, so it is a 25 year old restoration and starting to show it, but part of me none the less.

dirtsaver
Jace I also use Duplicolor DE1607 Chevy engine orange-red. You can see what it looks like in my Show & Tell post "3012 Facelift" Be sure to get the DE1607 as the DE1620 is too much like safety orange..

Vinnie_A
Storm, Nice start to your restoration but those 4 supports underneath are an accident waiting to happen. I used the same setup on one of my restorations and tried to remove a stubborn bolt and the whole tractor ended up on the floor about 5 inches away from my foot. Now I block up underneath the frame just as a safty measure. Just thought I would pass this on.