Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Impressive Engine

xenon172

We recently picked up this 1989 Wheel Horse for repair. It hadn't been run in 3 or 4 years and the owner wanted to get it going again if possible. It did require a carburetor rebuild and a new coil since a mouse had eaten through the insulation. The brakes were also shot so they required new pads. The tank was cleaned and a new fuel line and filter were put in and of course the oil was changed. You can see in the 3rd picture how bad the carburetor was by all the junk and rust in the bowl. After a couple of hours of work the tractor fired right up and ran great with no smoke even on start up. The impressive thing about this is that according to the hour meter this engine has 2242 hours on it.

Bet the key was left on at some point which usually runs the hourmeter without the engine running. :( I've done this a couple times when I used the electric lift without starting the tractor and forgot to turn the key back off. Then you have to estimate the hours the key was on and adjust the engine log.

quote:
Originally posted by PhanDad
Bet the key was left on at some point which usually runs the hourmeter without the engine running. :( I've done this a couple times when I used the electric lift without starting the tractor and forgot to turn the key back off. Then you have to estimate the hours the key was on and adjust the engine log.
My thoughts too Bill! That's why we don't leave keys in units on the showroom floor or display. I've seen too many brand new mowers with lots of hours on them.

I had a legacy a few months back with 2900 hours on it and it purred like a kitten. Sometimes you get lucky, sometimes you get a grenade!:D

Leaving the key on may account for the high hours. I which case I should repost as impressive batterysm01

I wonder if you can reverse the polarity on the hourmeter and decrease the hours? Like rolling back the odometer on a car.