Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sign in to follow this  
Dave-Saratoga

troubleshooting hydrulic lift leak

Dave-Saratoga
I'm loosing fluid from my hydraulic lift and can't seem to pinpoint where the leak is coming from. The hoses are brand new and the fittings appear tight and dry. In general, I can detect the fluid below the pump tank, but I am hard pressed to find the exact poin of leak, as the fluid is essentially clear and can barely be seen on the frame below the unit. The leak does not appear to be from the ram assembly. I'd really rather not pull apart the enitre pump assembly and replace all the seals and o rings. Any suggestions?

PhanDad
Dave, I think this post belongs in "Talking Tractors" since it isn't a post about how the hydraulic leak is fixed. See this sticky post from above: http://www.simpletractors.com/club2/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=25690

Dave-Saratoga
ok, there is a correction to the original post. The leak is from the ram, around the eye bolt that attaches to the frame near the BGB.
[img]/club2/attach/Dave-Saratoga/20090714125101_00001.jpg[/img]
I had not changed anything with the hydraulic unit, it had been in the tractor (B-10) and sitting in the garage for a couple years. When I started up the engine the other day, I noticed the fluid dripping from the frame. I pulled the hydraulic unit from a B-210 and compared the units, which are identical.
[img]/club2/attach/Dave-Saratoga/DSCN1838.jpg[/img]

[img]/club2/attach/Dave-Saratoga/DSCN1839.jpg[/img]
The leaking unit is on top in the first picture, ad to the right in the second. Any suggestions what might have caused the leaking to start? I am really confused over this one.