Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sign in to follow this  
RBE17

Ooops...broken blade bolt

RBE17
I'm sure I'm not the first person to do this, but decided to share it anyway. Here's evidence of my haste makes waste contribution. To make a long story short, I decided to use the existing bolts that hold the blades to the arbor even though they were suspect. Obviously, that was a bad choice. After I had the pleasure of removing that deck, again, new bolts went in and all is well.

sammiefish
It seems like the bolt did not break while under power... (maybe while tightening it??) it seems like it could have been catastrophic for the deck if it did!!!

RBE17
I'll start this by saying that I am extremely pressed for time since having children three years ago. Unfortunately, I let the lack of time drive a lot of my decisions. When I removed the deck to power wash the underside last weekend I also removed the blades to sharpen and balance them. The bolts were in rough shape. Some of the threads were worn and they were just beat. Instead of purchasing new bolts I elected to use these. After getting the deck back on and attempting to level it on an unlevel surface I had to get cutting. It was my second pass around the front yard and I was maneuvering around a tree and I guess I knocked a rock loose and it wedged itself perfectly in there. After I realized what the problem was I went to TSC and picked up new bolts and lock washers. Now, whenever I take the blades off I'll just put new bolts in there. No need having a blade come flying off and injuring someone. The worst part of the deal is trying to maneuver that 290lb deck by myself. Normally, not too much of a problem, but w/ a rib and back injury it was less than desirable.