Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sign in to follow this  
RBE17

Can you guess what's wrong here?

RBE17
While I was replacing the blade bolts on my powermax deck I snapped some pictures that I thought some might enjoy. For frame of reference, the deck is leaning against my barn w/ the discharge at the top.

If you're looking at those, scratching your head, you're seeing it right. All those bolts and nuts are welded fast making removal of the rollers and disassembly of the deck impossible w/o cutting tools. I hadn't planned on dismantling this deck over the winter, but I can't let this go. I have no idea what possessed someone to do this.

xenon172
I have a plow that we are going to replace the blade on. Someone decided it was a good idea to weld the old one in place making a simple repair into a big job. So I am not surprised to see bolts welded in place. At least they won't come loosesm01. I have no idea why some people do this.

RBE17
quote:
Originally posted by xenon172
I have a plow that we are going to replace the blade on. Someone decided it was a good idea to weld the old one in place making a simple repair into a big job. So I am not surprised to see bolts welded in place. At least they won't come loosesm01. I have no idea why some people do this.
Sorry to hear you're in the same spot. Yeah, it's not coming loose, which is why I'm guessing they did it, but geez, a little pm before each use and you can eliminate possible problems. I think my tractor was part of a grounds operation or something where the mechanic was a little overwhelmed. I don't know, but it's going to be a mess.

Simpleton7016
There is a family legend about my uncle (now deceased) who had an old chrysler in which the lug nuts kept loosening themselves. I likely have many of the details fudged, but it may have had something to do the the left handed threads or who knows. Whatever the reason for the loosening, he (he was also a drinker) was fed up one day and welded the lug nuts on and hid his handy work under a hubcap. He sold the car not long after and our family still laughs at the thought of the poor sap who next needed to change the tires on that car.

D-17_Dave
The wear points on these heavy decks are the roller shaft where it passes through the height adjusters. They probably wollered out the holes and the PO tagged the nuts in place to remove the slack/slop. Also the edges of the rollers on the outside of the deck take most of the abuse from wear. I see large amounts of wear on yours. Replacing or repairing the rollers will make a tremendous difference in how the deck mows evenly. Cutting tools or not, looks like it's time for some work.

RBE17
quote:
Originally posted by D-17_Dave
The wear points on these heavy decks are the roller shaft where it passes through the height adjusters. They probably wollered out the holes and the PO tagged the nuts in place to remove the slack/slop.
That would certainly explain some of it. I think while they had the welder out they went to town on a bunch of the other nuts and bolts, too. There are three more pix of the same throughout that area of the deck I didn't post.
quote:
Also the edges of the rollers on the outside of the deck take most of the abuse from wear. I see large amounts of wear on yours. Replacing or repairing the rollers will make a tremendous difference in how the deck mows evenly.
I have a spare set of rollers. I guess I'll be replacing them when this thing gets taken apart. Also, the right side (top in these pix) is missing the bushing. No good way to fix that until it comes apart after the mowing season. It's interesting because these are in great shape compared to the set that were on a 48" 917H deck the PO of our house left us.
quote:
Cutting tools or not, looks like it's time for some work.
Yep, fun times lie ahead. I've already got a call into Sandy Lake.

RBE17
quote:
Originally posted by country
Since you have a Power Max, it sounds like the PO left an extra deck for you to drop off at my house!
LOL!!! There have been times I've wanted this whole machine and all it's attachments and accessories to go away. Not at the moment though.

dentwizz
I just went through that on my deck, both on the rollers and the bail. Someone welded the clevises onto the threads, in the low position no less. Then to make it worse, the roller bar slide bolts(the carriage heads) were moved and drilled 2" higher than stock. How he managed to make it mow is beyond me. I had to make a new bail and rework the spare roller bar. Now it cuts8D

SmilinSam
quote:
The wear points on these heavy decks are the roller shaft where it passes through the height adjusters. They probably wollered out the holes and the PO tagged the nuts in place to remove the slack/slop.
Ditto..

RBE17
quote:
Originally posted by dentwizz
I just went through that on my deck, both on the rollers and the bail. Someone welded the clevises onto the threads, in the low position no less. Then to make it worse, the roller bar slide bolts(the carriage heads) were moved and drilled 2" higher than stock. How he managed to make it mow is beyond me. I had to make a new bail and rework the spare roller bar. Now it cuts8D
Wow, I thought mine was bad. Your deck sounds like a true nightmare. Taking these pictures and hearing some of these stories makes me realize that not everyone is cut out to DIY things.