Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Deck Roller Durability

dmcluckie

I'm concerned about beating up the rear rollers on my Landlord's deck. The lawn is clean, but we have a kind of a barnyard, you might say, by the outbuildings, and I trim with the Landlord around the outbuildings, the gravel drives, etc. When I go along the drives, the rollers are rolling over gravel that it nestled down at the edge of the grass. I don't hit it with the blades, but the rollers get the full effect. Sometimes they skid across the rocks instead of rolling. I think it's because the rollers are so small. And if I mow in the grass main part of the "barnyard", which is a little rough but not real rough, it seems like the deck takes a beating from bumping along. To me, this deck (because of the rollers) looks like it should only be used on clean grass and beautiful suburban lawns. Because of this concern I have been thinking of moving to another brand with a more conventional deck. OTOH it does a beautiful job on the uneven surface of the "main" lawn by the house. Advice/comments? Thanks, Don McLuckie

well i have a 917 and it wrok great around the farm. The deck has taken a beating and its still going strong.

You could install a cable cheater to gain more lift. But from your other posts you don't like the electric lift or the hand control hydro. Could it be you just don't like the Landlord? How long have you owned it?

Dutch, At least you're reading my posts. LOL. I like the Landlord's cut, but don't like the way the hydro lurches into motion, not thrilled about the deck lift. :-) I guess I'm trying to make it work, though. The reason I'm still hanging around asking questions is that I would consider a newer model Landlord that has foot hydro controls and hydraulic deck lift. Also I don't have time nor wife's permission to upgrade so I'm kinda stuck. But I don't want to abuse this machine, I'd be better off selling it if it's not cut out for my property. I wonder about if it's really only made for beautiful lawn work. Seriously. The cheater cable is a good idea, but I can't do that. I need the deck down and cutting. I'm cutting the grass along the gravel drive. It has the stones down in it at the edge and I cut right over top of the stones while the rollers skid/bounce/roll along. So have I got the wrong brand? Not trying to be a smart aleck. My Landlord is a beauty and is well built. Just don't know if my cutting is the wrong kind for it. Or can the rollers take a beating? Thanks, Don McLuckie

Seems to me that the rollers are doing their job. The reason that you are not scalping is that the rollers are floating the deck over the uneven ground and rock. Mine have gotten hung up before doing the same thing. My Landlord is a 1964 model and it has only the second set of rollers on it- I call that durability. Have also had the misfortune of using a Sears (shame on me!) with the deck attached to the frame and what I call outrigger wheels. That unit was BOUGHT NEW IN 1995--is on its third set of wheels and the second left hand bracket--my sister seemed to have a knack for catching it on the fence posts. The underside of the decks of these cheapies--and most brands of the same design have a plate and if that plate catches (like it has) the whole thing seems to scrape and scoop up the stone like a grader blade. Also used a 16hp 1970's sovereign to field mow for years and no appreciable wear and tear on those rollers either-considering animal holes and ruts and etc. Does sound like you are not comfortable with the feel of the unit and that should be your ultimate test and decision--but durability wise I'd bet the bank that you are not going to hurt that unit.

Don, Does your deck have rollers (like small kitchen rolling pins) across the entire rear of the deck, or wheel type rollers at the corners of the deck?

Don, I'm not familiar with the "new style" Landlords, but the hand control on my "old style" '78 Landlord works smooth as silk. I just got a "like new" '96 Sovereign that sat unused for a couple of years. The Sovereign is virtually identical to my '78 Landlord but the hand control was stiff and jerky. After I loosened, lubed, and retightened all the moving points and readjusted the linkage it is much more useable, but still as that "new" stiffness. Have you determined if anything is binding on your hydro linkage?

Don, I own a 89 Sovereign with the hand control and have not issues with jerk. Herb's response reminded of a spring control mechanism in the linkage assembly. This spring provides a safty mechanism so that as you push foward on the control it will only allow the control value to open at specific rate (so you don't wheelie the tractor over onto yourself). This mechanism might not be working properly and might be the reason for the jerk. This mechanism can be view easily to see if its working ok. It is under the seat right on the value control linkage. Reminder do it while the tractor is off. Bill

I'm going to start a new thread on this subject.... Don't change the channel. :) -Don

Don, I have a nice 7119 with very nice rollers and an old 3310V with 42 in rusty deck with terrible looking rollers (equivilent to my toyota truck with 218,000 miles on it). The rollers are worn 1/8 or more on the id and ends are cone shaped instead of square. The two deck both cut very nice and you probably couldn't tell me which I just used by the look of the yard. I purposely havn't changed the rollers -- (I bought new ones years ago) -- waiting to see deteriation in performance -- then I'll do it. My maple trees have roots sticking all over above ground and the deck jumps and bangs -- sounds as if it'll kill the mower and tractor -- just sounds bad, hasn't hurt mine though. Snagging on stuff-- that's a different story. A terribly worn set of rollers can still rub thd deck flat if you adjust the edes of the deck height to pavement, not adjust by equally setting the notches on the adjusters. My 7119 hydro is a little stiff but smooth. My 7018 is very easy to move the lever, but is jerky. I think it's because I move it abruptly, since it move's so easliy. I'm going to take the arm apart and relube and retension it properly. I thing that particular hydro is worn. The unit sometimes feels like an automatic transmission slipping under load. I wanted a foot hydro, but got used to the hand lever and think it's better in some circumstances. Motor on -- if you get new rollers in the next 5 years, how bout giving me your old ones. Then I can save my new ones. PS..... My decks are the left discharge deep (commercial) decks. Maybe your deck is not quite the same, which would void my whole spiel, possibly bobjack

Dutch, it has the full width rollers like kitchen rolling pins. DaveL, thanks for the feedback. No, I'm not as comfortable with the unit as I (and especially my wife and kids) was with a couple Deeres I tried but I think improvements have been made such that we would like later models. If the rollers have held up for you guys then I'll "shut up and mow". :-) :-) Thank you for your patience and help. -Don

My hydro sometimes feels like it's slipping too. Hmmmm. No, my deck is the RH discharge, but the rollers are rollers, and everyone has pretty much convinced me to forget about it and mow. Which is why I asked, and why I'm glad to have gotten the responses. -Don

Don, The rollers are "wear" items and are replaceable, so when they do wear (many years) rebush or replace them. If one of your outer rollers is riding on gravel next to the grass, either raise the lawn or grade the gravel so there is a smooth transition or remove the outer roller (the rest of the rollers will support the deck). For mowing really rough terrain, lower the blades all the way with the side adjusters and raise the deck with the lift so the rollers are off the ground. Using the same deck for rough and finish cutting is a pain. I use a deck with beat up blades adjusted for rough terrain where I might hit stones and gravel, and another with very sharp blades precisely adjusted for my lawn. Simplicity decks are so easy to change it only takes a few minutes to switch from one deck to the other. I only have to sharpen my lawn blades once a season since they only cut grass.

Hello Don, I also have been reading and keeping up on your concerns with you Landlord. From the beginning I have had a feeling from reading your post that you aren't satisfied with your Landlord nor do I feel that you will be. From the conditions that you are using your Landlord just maybe another brand would suit your needs better. I have owned Simplcity tractors for the last 18-20 years now and used them even before that mowing comerially. You are write about the deck being for a smooth yard to some degree but it was designed for other types of surfaces also. My 1964 Landlord has been used for any and all types of surfaces and has only failed me once and thats when I hit a tree root with the end of a roller breaking one of the suport arms. It was just a matter of welding it and it was back in bussiness. My brother first bought a Wheel Horse and wasn't satisfied and then bought a John Deere to which he thinks he is satisfied. Your concerns seem to be more of hurting the tractors mower deck and the lever for the hydro which are major concerns to some people that have not had much time in the saddle of a Simplicity product. There are times that I actually use my rollers to level and roll loose soil and hey it works great. I know what you are talking about the rollers moving gravel instead of riding up and over it. The other brands of tractors without the rollers sink into the gravel letting the blades in most cases hit it and then its resharpen time. I know that I am rattleing on here but as far as the hydro goes you might try and have the linkage adjusted for the belt and that might take care of part. But the hand lever can be a real pain at times and there have been ways of posted to try and convert over to the peddle use but its alot of work to have it work properly. Also the issue of the rollers just is not something to rememdy other then to take them off and put wheels on it like the other brands for you use. The rollers have alot of pluses "but" it only takes a couple of negitives to make a person forget about them. Yes for your use I would try another brand as I know Simplicitys are not for everyone and thats why they sell other brands that might or should suit your needs around your property. Don I truly mean this reply in the most sincere and possitive way and I hope that you take it as such. Good Luck what ever you decide tractors are just that and sometimes the burden they put on some people is just not worth the worry or concerns you have shared with us when another brand might be a better choice. Being a member of this club for sometime now I have shared concerns similer as yours with others so you are not amagineing these things its just what people can live with or without. Best to you, >>->happyjack<-<< P.S. Don't ever feel like you are bothering anyone here and there is no need to even think about shutting up so lets not even go in that direction as we are all here to help one another the best we can.:)

Thanks happyjack. I like this forum and you guys are great. And the brand of mower seems great too. As to the hydro I just don't know what to think, except that they maybe engineered the linkage wrong. It is jerky and needs more lever travel to smooth things out. I hope to test drive a new one with foot controls. I was afraid you guys would give up on me as being a "whiner". I bought this machine used for a very good price, figuring at least I'd have something to mow with. Which is true. At some point this mower will be trade bait and I want to keep it in top shape until then. Thanks again for all your help. -Don