Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sign in to follow this  
yellojeeper

Where to get a new rear hub assembly.

yellojeeper
I am rebuilding an AC 416 hydro. The rear hub is shot and needs to be replaced. I looked up the part and I belive it's part number SMP2029403. I was wondering if anyone knew of a resource for this part, new or used.

Chris727
Hi. I don't think the part# is correct, are you sure its not 2029304? The part # is an Allis Chamlers number and must be crossed to a simplicity part #, it may still be available new.

yellojeeper
I stand corrected, I must've typed it wrong. I looked for it online from some dealers and it's not available. Looks like I may have to manufacture my own unless I can find a used one.

Chris727
None of the Allis Chalmers 202xxxx numbers will work. They need to be cross referenced to Simplicity numbers, your part may still be available under the Simplicity number. Please see this page for the cross reference info: http://www.simpletractors.com/parts/parts_x-ref.htm

GregB
Before you spend big dollars why don't you put an ad in the wanted section. What other tractors might use the same part? Someone may have a used one from another than a 400 series Allis. They were unique in a few ways, but did share some components. If you found the current part, sometimes you can use the parts look-up feature to do a "where used" look-up.

GregB
I did a cross reference, looks to be common to later large frame tractors. AC 700 series and newer, also 7000 series Simpplicity and newer, the whole way to the end of production. E-mail me a couple of pictures of yours, use the e-mail in my profile, I think I have one I could do without. (For a few Dollars, and shipping;)) Greg

GregB
Mike, Got your pictures, you really should spend the $10 and join the club, it would make solving problems easier as you could post the pictures here and have the benafit of everyones knowledge, (not just my limited capacity ^ ) The picture you sent me looks like the Left side drive hub. The Keyway is all worn out? Maybe a crack?
[img]/club2/attach/GregB/hub.jpg[/img]
I think this could be solved in a couple of ways. 1. I'm pretty sure that Rod Hubbard has just welded the hub and axle together successfully. (chime in anytime guys) 2. Buy it new. The part number refered to in the above posting is for the RH hub that has the gear for the Differential. By my reading of the parts lists the part you need is 2154208SM $99 or so. 3. You could find just the hub used (which I have, if the keyway on the axle is not also worn out.) 4. Or you could just replace the whole hub and axle assembly with one from a AC 716 or Simplicity 7000 or newer. They upgraded the asssembly to a welded one piece unit not a two piece keyed assembly. I'm pretty sure the axles are all the same diameter. If you have a way of accurately (.001 or so) measuring the diameter of you axle we could confirm that the later style axle assembly will work for you. Changing out the axle is not really hard, two set screws on the right hand hub, pull that and the wheel off. Then the little circle clip that holds the axle and differential together. Two screw drivers usually works. Then the axle pulls out the left hand side. Buy a new cir-clip and reverse to install new axle assembly.

HubbardRA
I have not welded one yet, but I made one from a taperlock coupling. Roy now has that one. I have just been replacing the old style units with the later model hubs axles and diff. These have the hub welded on. You could just align yours and weld it on, since the newer ones are welded.

Roy
The LH hub on my B-1 has been welded to the axle for many long years with no problems. It does take a little finesse to remove the differential and axle due to loss of axial distance/clearance on the LH side (axle must be slid to the RH side to remove the circle clip Greg mentioned above) but it can be done. As I recall it takes a special nickel electrode to weld CI to steel. My welder used Super NI-Cast 99. See no reason to not try welding the hub. Worst case you're looking at replacing it anyway. Hope this helps.

acfarmer
If the axle and hub need replacing you're not going to loose anything by welding it.I've welded similar things and they did fine.I have a couple 7000 series rears for parts BTW if you can't get it otherwise.