Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Painting rims

acken

I usually break the beads down to tape and paint my rims after sandblasting. This time I went another step, I shrink wrapped the tire befor taping. No overspray

I don't mask mine anymore. I paint the side wall with brake fluid using a brush and then spray paint the wheel. When the paint is dry I wipe the brake fluid off and your done. Brake fluid is good for rubber also. Chris

When I painted mercedes and VW wheels for a living we used to break the beads, then we just went to masking tape while inflated. If careful and not afraid to use a lot, it can work just as well. The trick with the lubricant masking is it can risk contaminating the edges where peeling would start anyway. It may work in your instance, but it poses certain liability to others. I like that cling wrap idea. A lot neater than my newspaper when I did mine. ;)

We made up some cardboard templates to slide between the rim and the tire. Takes about 2 minutes to make a set and they last for a long time and for many paint jobs.

That was how we originally did it in the car shop. Someone influential (not me) decided de-beading and reseating was too slow for a piecework shop. Temps always look nicer and waste less materials. Well done.

OK, I will say that I would NOT consider the brake fluid system for use with "on highway" rims. I hadn't even thought about doing it on anything other than yard and garden equipment.

[url]http://www.eastwood.com/catalog/product/view/id/4757/s/hotcoat-elite-powder-coat-kit/category/18/[/url] Under 200 Bucks!!

That system is cool, the problem I face is you need a non food oven to bake them....where do i get one and where do i keep it? lol :)

Ovens are easy to find. Look behind appliance dealers, Lowes, etc. Shouldn't have to pay more than a few bucks, if not free.