Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Question about Stock B series seats

ZippoVarga

What is original.......Sewn Pleats or Embossed Pleats? Were both used depending on year or were they all one or the other. My reason for asking is my buddy thinks sewn is original and with the NOS B series seat I just picked up, I am leaning towards the originals having pleats being heat-set or Embossed into the vinyl. Much like the 64 LL and later pan style seats on the Simplicity versions which are embossed and not stitched, I'm leaning towards the same process on the B series, but...I've definitely been wrong before and i'll undoubtedly be wrong again. Just want to clear up what's correct. Here is my NOS B series seat set. I won't sicken any one with what I paid for it. Unfortunately, it wasn't stored in the best of ways and it has one stain on one of the arm rests and where the A/C ID number sticker was there is bleed through on the seat part. Other than that, it's in very good condition for a 40+ year old seat.

From what I understand, the B-1 through early B-10 had sewn pleats, and the 100 and 200's had heated pleats. The seat you picture is for a B-100 through B-200. The B-1 and B-10 have a different backrest.

Thanks Chris.....I had already looked at Marys page and the seats, at least to my eyes, they are not clear enough to tell. I just thought it would be nice for reference if there was a definitive line as to what is what for what year B series. Just another one of those anomalies between years I guess. Thanks again!

Sean I can barely remember my grandpa's new AC garden tractor and ones sitting in the showroom that I crawled up on when we went for round baler twine and gleaner parts, etc. My recollection is of heat treated pleats; same as was used on some tractor seats during the 60's. But it was the 60's & I was young so take it for what its worth.

That helps a lot guys, thanks! Looks like this seat is for the one piece seat pans that they started making in 1969. I measured all the holes and they match up to those that would fit on a B-110. Again, thanks for every one's input. Looks like they were sewn until 1968, then heat pleated there after. I'm listing it on ebay tomorrow so any one who has the need should check it out. My ID on ebay is the same as on here. Sean

• 2 weeks later...
Mary here, The B-10 series tractors were sewn pleats. The B-110 and newer used heat pleated material. I, however, do not use the sewn material for the seats that I make. I use heat pleated material to make new cushions for the B-10 and B-110, B-210 and such. The back rests are different sizes and the bolt patterns are different for the different tractors.