Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Log Splitter Help I.D.

xenon172

We got this log splitter the other day when we picked up a Case tractor for a good price. The splitter was thrown in for free and we were told it was a home made unit but when we looked it over today we found Patent Pend. and a serial number stamped on it. It is designed to run from a hydraulic tractor mounted system like a Case has but the color is closer to Allis Chalmers. We couldn't find any makers marks or decals so does anyone have an idea what this unit might be?

Is it a toro maybe? They made a setup to go to the front of thier snowblowers... Areins I think made something like it too. Not positive though...

Can't swear to it but the wedge and the serial # lead me to think Log Boss. The company makes equipment as needed so very practical to make a one of a kind attachment with a serial #

Thanks for the answers guys, now the mystery deepens. I had the same thought as Ken about the serial number as to it being the first one made. The Log Boss looks like a good possibility but would they try and patent a custom made machine considering the cost of doing so? The Toro / Ariens idea gets me thinking Gravely. The super heavy construction makes Power King a possibility. The thing does work and very well, with a huge amount of pressure. Troy-Bilt had a similar unit for their old Horse tillers so maybe an old Simplicity 2 wheel tractor is a possibility as well as an early Kubota. It is also possible that this might be prototype for one of the major producers that never went into production which would be super if I can figure out which one.

quote:
The Log Boss looks like a good possibility but would they try and patent a custom made machine considering the cost of doing so
cheap to register a patent pending then field test the product for later mass production after a patent has been honored then the big bucks start to spend in the patend offices.

Home made job. The guy registered for a patend so no one could use his idea to get rich quick. Happens around here all the time.