Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Have you ever looked at your tiller and thought...

Burntime

Trencher?

Here is my partial attempt to trench in my gutter. I have to clean up but as dry as it is it make it a lot easier...

How deep does it go for you? Did you remove all the tines except one or two? Closer pictures would be nice if you can do it. Good idea. larry

Nope, moved over 25-30 inchs at a time. Still some hand digging but broke thru the tough stuff. I would say 8-10 ichs as a best guess. I was going to till 36 inchs wide, switch to a blade and angle it out, then repeat...but after thinking about how much more work that was I decided to do it the other way. Not ideal but better then doing it all by hand...:D:D:D

OK, so you used the tiller sideways. I might have to try that one day as I think I may have to put an underground conduit to my loaf shed.....someday :)

Good idea. You are only about 5 miles from me, but the glaciers that went through here 100,000 years ago must have scraped up all the rocks from your property (and all the ones between us) and dropped them in my yard. :( Didn't you encounter roots from that tree? Man oh man, I had a good tiller, but I have used it hard this year (and removed hundreds if not thousdands of softball sized rocks) and I will be in the market for a replacement before next spring.:(

Found a few rocks but nothing major. Maybe 8 ofr the whole run. I till at a quarter throttle to start and then about hlf to 3/4 as it digs. I am on farmland so I think a lot of those were tilled up years ago!

quote:
Originally posted by acfarmer
With the subsoiler I built and a good layoff plow you could dig that trench in about 5 minutes with a 9020
How about a picture of the subsoiler? I wouldn't mind building one.

I think any great theng of using a tiller sideways would take to long and doesnt it just mix up the soil and not real "trench"? I would rather just throw my moldboard blough on and go. Make a deep strait hole and heeps all the dirt on the side next to it for easy fill in after the pipe is laid :)

Thats if you have a mold board plow ;~) I have a tiller...give a man a hammer and everything looks like a nail:D

...I should permanently share it and ship it to someone else. I can provide shipping information, just let me know!;)

Well the tiller did a good job of getting the solid stuff on top off, a lot of shoveling later and a transom(sp) and I have 26 inchs of pitch over 75ft. No 10 foot sectrion has any less then 1.5 inchs. Should run like, well something to do with a goose:D The 17gth-l now has plow blade duty. No chains or anything and it pushs the dirt in the hole with ease! It is down an inchand a half undersoil on the end and about 8-10 inchs at the top. Now I just need to cut concrete with a saw and join the gutter. Thats only about 12 ft of handwork. Much better then the first part!

Nice job! Prior to owning a real tractor, I used a walk behind tiller for stuff just like this - it was perfect for getting a small job going, especially with turf or gravel in the way. Sure, the lazy factor has something to do with it of course, but anything that reduces shoveling is a smart plan in my bookdOd

Here is a pic of 16ft x 1 ft of concrete that was 4.5 inchs thick that basically had to ber powdered with a sledge to get it out. Did you know your ligiments can hurt as bad as your muscles and joints. Heck, my eyeballs hurt after this pounding!:D:D:D Here is a pic of the water delivery system!!! Its daylights over 70 feet from the house downhill. Now everything needs to dry out and I can rebar the concrete and start mixing it in a wheel barrow. Sound like fun to anyone?