Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sign in to follow this  
dmcluckie

Jerky Hydro was Deck Rollers

dmcluckie
Dutch and Dallas asked if I'd had any luck find the source of jerkiness in my trans or linkage. Started this new thread to keep it clear in case anyone else had info. Previously, things improved when I unclogged grass from around the hydro linkage, and sprayed lube on things. But it's not 100%. I crawled under there today and can't find anything wrong. I'm going to disconnect something and try to see what's binding. One strange thing, probably not related.... The owner's manual says it goes 5.something MPH forward and 2.6 reverse. Does not. It goes the same in reverse as forward, if I had to guess I'd say it's at least 5 MPH. I timed it between two trees and it took the same time either way. Now, that could tell me there's some linkage misadjusted, but I don't really see it by looking. There is a special sized governor stopper on the rear linkage that limits the lever movement in forward, but not reverse. [scratching my head on that one] I have a service manual on the way, hoping that might shed some light on things. -Don

MikeES
Don, when we first moved here (over 20 years ago) our "ranch" was mostly sand, and the rollers on the deck of my HB212 would do a nice job of grading the sand around. What I do is slightly lift the deck in gravel and sandy areas just enough to relieve some of the weight of the deck but not off the ground. The rollers stop plowing rocks and sand. Good Luck, Mike S.

SmilinSam
More than likely jerky hydrostatic control is caused by loose bolts on the sides of the bevel gear box. There are 3 bolts on each side that hold the transmission assembly to the bevel gear box. I they loosen up even just a little, it lets the tractor pivot slightly in the center. The pivoting causes slight changes in the linkage distances which causes the jerky motion. I've been there twice now. If thats the problem, the cure is as simple as tightening the bolts. Once done you have to reset your tractors linkage neutral so the tractor does not creep. Incedentally, creep is another sign, along with jerkiness, of loose bolts. Smilin Sam

Brent_Baumer
Ok Don here's another one to check for. Check if you havn't yet to see if the drive belt is glazed "shinny" surface riding in the v-of the drive pullies I had this problem recently and along with tighening everything up come to find out the belt was also glazed and now my tractor does not act like a "jerk". Keep us informed and I wondered about you maybe trying to keep you Landlord nice as a possible trade but really you won't hurt it. >>->happyjack<-<<

SmilinSam
DUH! I guess I missed the subject matter. ',ve been working with this older stuff so long I forgot about the newer tractors. Well, It was good advice for the old ones anyhow. Sorry for the confusion. Sam

dmcluckie
Yes, the belt is glazed. I noticed that yesterday. I have a new one in hand but have not installed it. Guess I should. I didn't yet because moving the linkage seems to be where I'm encountering the aggravation. But, the slight slippage I've noticed is probably the belt. Thanks again. -Don