Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Hydrostat Oil Filter vs. Fram

bsadler

Fram crosses to the PH2844 for the Allis and PH43 to the Simplicity. The Allis has no relief valve and the Simplicity does. How does the relief valve work?

A relief valve works when pressure is to great and bypasses pressure around the filter so damage wont happen and hydro system still has a stream of oil.It usually when filter is plugged up with trash.If this happens your hydraulic system will be in bad shape anyway and more then likely need very costly repairs.

Like I mentioned Fram filters cause a lot of problems when used on simplicity/AC hydrostatic transmissions. The Simplicity 7000, 7100 series and Allis Chalmers 700, 900 series both use the same SundStrand Model 15 Series Hydrostatic drive units and should use the same filter. The Power-max Series Simplicity 4040, 4041 & 9020 and Allis Chalmers 616, 620 & 720 use the SundStrand model 15 in-line series drive unit and use the same filters.

UCD said the Fram causes a lot of problems. That is something I don't need. Do the Wix cause problems? Do you have filter part numbers for Wix? Thanks,

The short filter can be replaced with a Wix 51335 or a NAPA 1335. The NAPA filter is a Wix filter. The long filter on the cross reference page to Wix is 51084 for a Simplicity and it list a 51068 Wix filter for Allis chalmers. Shouldn`t matter which you use they are the same Sundstrand pump. Just drop the 5 off the Wix number and that is the number used by NAPA. They are the same filters.

Thanks for the Wix information. Do you believe they will not cause problems where the Fram would? Do the problems come from not enough filtering? too much restriction? or something else?

I have been using Wix or NAPA filters on my machine for past 8 or so years with no problems. I believe that the Fram filters are to restrictive but not sure. Here is a link to a study on filters. http://people.msoe.edu/~yoderw/oilfilterstudy/oilfilterstudy.html http://people.msoe.edu/~yoderw/oilfilterstudy/oilfilters.html

Thanks for that link Ray, I was looking all over for that, I'd swear I had it bookmarked! I think that's a great filter study, it finally convinced me to stop using Fram filters. Not that I had any problems with them, it just gave me the heebies and many friends swear by Wix filters. ?Do you guys know if the PH43 filter mentioned above is the correct filter for my 7016H? Mobil 1 oil filters are on sale right now at Farm & Fleet for $8 and I think I will get one while I'm there tomorrow (they don't carry Wix). I plan to cross the Fram number in the book to come up with the Mobil 1 filter #. EDIT: Well duh, I just looked again and re-read Maynard's post that states these are all the same:I

Thanks for all of your input. I picked up a Wix last night and will install it before I use the 917H. This all started when my Allis dealer asked me $25 for theirs. I checked Auto Zone and they had a Fram cross. I didn't believe it and called Fram to check out their micron rating and found it to be considerably smaller than Allis'. I thought this was good so I installed it and thought I had better check out that decision with you experts. Glad I did.

I have an old (recently aquired) 912H that probably hasnt had a tranny fluid change in quite some time (or never). Im interested in changing the fluid and filter. If Im reading things above correctly, I should be able to use the following cross-ref filter: Wix 51335 or a NAPA 1335 (or Wix 51084 -long filter). What is the difference between long and short filter? which should I use (long or short)?? Also, what "type" of fluid should I use? I assume I should stick with a standard simplicity tranny fluid? Thanks in advance!

Hello all, I've been down this road with my 720 and wanted to share my 2 cents. On the 720, the filter is on the suction side of the charge pump and putting anything less than the recommended 20 micron mesh filter will cause the pump to starve and foam the oil. When I bought my 720, it would not lift the 3pt and could barely climb into my trailer in 1st gear. I removed the Fram Filter and replaced with the simp OEM part and the tractor came back to life. I am not sure where the filter is plumbed in the smaller frame machines.

Hey BSADLER, which wix filter did you buy... Wix 51335 (short) or Wix 51084 (long filter)? Is there a difference? Please let me know how they work out. I think $25 for a OEM filter is a bit excessive and Ive been a fan of Wix/Napa and Purolator filters (for my car) for years after reading the same oil study described in the link above. I still have to find out what brand/type of fluid to use. I'll probably just get OEM.

The filters are the same just one is longer = more filter material. You can use either one depending on space between frame and tire. If using chains in winter it might be better to use short filter for clearance. You can use ATF Automatic Transmission fluid. Mercon III etc.

I didn't know we were still talking about this. To answer Louofm1's question, I used the Wix 51084 (long filter). My filter mounts between the frame vertically. The side mounts were the short ones to keep tiller belts and tire chains out of the way. I do agree the Fram is a more dense filter and does not let the oil through - thus the problem. I use Allis 821 fluid or I should say I did. It is now $6 a quart. I went to Big R and found their equivalent for $14 for 2 gallon.

• 3 months later...
Would you like it delivered and installed to? Drop the first digit of the wix filter # to get the NAPA # Wix 51335 (short) or Wix 51084 (long filter) Napa 1335 (short) or Napa 1084 (long filter)

I have a new Hastings HF784 which came with my 720 from the previous owner. Anyone know if this is an OK filter to use on the hydro? I'm not able to find an online cross reference for it. Thanks Nelson

I'm a firm beliver in using what the oem recommends. Whether it is in lawn mower, car or truck. A transmission filer will last for years. pay the price now or pay it later !!