Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sign in to follow this  
78kitty

Governor hookup for 15HP Briggs L-Head

78kitty
Does anyone have a good picture of their tractor, or a diagram of how the govenor & throttle cable should be hooked up for the 15 horsepower Briggs & Stratton cast iron L-head engine?

BLT
Read this thru. It should help you out. 10-16 HP engines function the same on throttle control. http://www.simpletractors.com/operation/b_%26_s_300401.htm

78kitty
Thanks BLT, I think it's just what I needed. I rebuilt the carb and was 2nd guessing myself on if I rehooked the gov. correctly. I was wondering b/c the throttle is not very responsive. After re-reading the adjustment procedure though I think I had the idle screw too far out. I opened it 1.5 turns like the main needle valve instead of 0.5 turns like the instructions say.

grurban
On the topic of the governor. I tried to set mine like the engine books say. That is loosen the nut push the lever all the way up and turn the screw all the way counter clock wise. The engine runs away. I turned it back about 1/2 way and it seems to be working. Any ideas? 72 soveren 15hp bs.