Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sign in to follow this  
tacomac

tractor dies

tacomac
My simplisity 917 runs great for about 5 minutes and than it pops and the engine dies. It will start up again and run about another 5 minutes and does it again: would this be the coil? any sugestions appreciated:

Burntime
ZVent cap on tank bad, fuel pump bad and sucking the carb dry, condensor... Have seen a lot. And I am a rookie... Someone with much more knowledge will come along and solve it... Good luck....

Mine would start and run for a while, but wouldn't restart if I left it off for a few minutes. Gradually got worse until it would just stop running. A new coil solved it for me. The fact that your unit restarts immediately may mean something else like a bad ground or switch.

HubbardRA
Also check the clearance on the exhaust valve. I had a push mower that would start and mow one strip across my lawn (100 ft) and then stop. I could re-start it immediately and it would mow back across the lawn and stop. I found no clearance in the exhaust valve. Put the right clearance in the valve and it would run the gas tank dry before it stopped. This is usually the last thing that anyone wants to check, but it happens quite often. As one of these engines runs, the hard valve will gradually beat the valve seat larger and allow the valve to seat deaper. This reduces the valve clearance. If the clearance gets small enough, the valve will stop seating when it heats up and the valve stem gets longer.

Glen112
I decided to hi-jack this thread since I am having a similar problem with my 19D that I picked up on Craigslist. I have been going through the "wake-up" procedure that Jonathan (rsnik) posted in this thread: [url]http://www.simpletractors.com/club2/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=104832[/url] Thanks to Jonathan for the detailed wake-up procedure. It makes sense to approach an old engine in this methodical manner. I am up to the part where I am running the heavy dose of Seafoam through it. It will run perfectly for about 20-30 minutes, then die. Runs smooth at about 1100 RPM. As it gets close to the dying point, I get an occasional sputter and puff of smoke. This seems to happen when the head temperature reaches about 220-degrees. Is this normal, or too hot? I have not pulled the shroud yet to look for a rodent condominium, but have blown a lot of air through and have not seen any signs of debris. The temperature on the shroud is about 80-degrees. I am leaning towards Rod's exhaust valve clearance theory, but also suspect a coil that gets tired when it gets hot. Carb has been re-built, points cleaned and gapped, and am running a new E3 plug. Any thoughts or suggestions? Thanks, Glen

dentwizz
Coils are simple to diagnose. Invest the 15 bucks and get a spark tester. I went years without one and now I have one and kick myself every time I use it;) When it dies, clip it in and look. If it sparks then you know definitively that it is not the problem. Saves a ton of questions.