Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Power steering

The kit number is 1692098. You'll have to check with a dealer to see if it's still available.

This does not have the wheel that bolts thru (I have a 7016 that has that wheel, and wouldn't mind replacing the 7117's current steering wheel with that, larger one). The wheel on this is a deep, plastic one that, I believe, has two spokes..maybe four. I'll check this tonite when I get home. I'll also check the numbers. I bought this tractor used from a dealer a couple years ago, so he may have added it instead of keeping the original. It has the pop/pry off center hub, but is actually held on to the steering shaft by some kind of pin...that looks like it's been pressed thru. I really can't tell which is the tapered end of the pin although one side is flush to the column and the other side is indented. Anyway, the is a heavy-duty #%&%-kicking machine and the only problem is the brutal steering....that I may have to live with....or get power steering. Anyway, thanks, again.

After you replace the upper bushing, check out a few things before you go with PS. There is another shaft bushing right above the steering gear in the cast steering housing. I don't believe that bushing has a grease fitting. Jack up the tractor and get underneath. As someone else turns the steering, spray a liberal amount of PB Blaster on the shaft and all around that bushing. Follow that with motor oil in a squirt can. Grease the king pins as the wheel is being turned. Blow the dirt and grass off the steering pinion and gear and DON'T oil or grease them. Make sure air in the front tires is 15 psi. Assuming the steering is adjusted properly and not bent or binding, you should almost be able to turn the wheel with one finger.

Anyone have any idea how $much$ the kit costs?? And, how does one get the steering wheel off a 7117? I need to replace the steering bushing, but can't get the wheel off.

You're welcome. Check with your dealer for price and availability. Wheels are attached with either a nut under the center hub or a cross bolt or pin through the side of the wheel.

So, how do you get the pin out? I've used a sledge hammer and a punch to no avail...I certainly don't want to break anything. Is the pin tapered? If it is, how can you tell which end is the tapered (smaller) end? Thanks!

Are you sure it's a pin? What diameter is it? Where is it located? Is it a solid or roll pin? You can tell if it's tapered if it has different diameter ends. Most of the early 900/7100 series (3 spoke wheels) had a metal sleeve coming out the bottom of the wheel, and that sleeve had a cross bolt through the shaft. Some of those with a 4 spoke wheel had a nut under the wheel hub cover. The later model 4 spoke wheels had a cross bolt right through the wheel body. Is your tractor early or late? What is the product number?

Oh I had one of those wonderful pin type steering wheels on a parts outfit once. I got so disgusted trying to get it off that I finally gave up on saving it and sawed it off. I know its not much for advice but thats all I have. Look at message#3584 for more on steering problems. I would think that the manual steering would work fine once lubed up and adjusted right. I myself have not heard very good reviews of the aftermarket power steering setups, so I would be hesitant to shell out big bucks for one unless I heard differently. My two cents(probably all its worth too!) Sam

I had the same question of my dealer here on the Canadian side of the fence...he quoted me $1700.00 Canadian. Which would work out to about $1100.00 in your currency. That was for parts only! I would certainly think that an aftermarket kit would be available.

I have the local Simplicity dealer checking out the power steering kit...he's gonna call Simplicity today, but thinks they're in excess of, get this,....$700$$$. I'll post once I find out.