Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sign in to follow this  

Need more lift with the mower blades

Was at my son's yesterday (granddaughter's birthday). He has my old AC 917 and it isn't doing a very good job on the right front wheel track. Belts are in the right places, engine is running at correct speed, and the deck is set at 2 3/4" on the front center tip and the rear sides are at 2 1/2, but the wheel tracks show badly. Blades are straight. Are there any high-lift blades for the 48" deck. His grass is a rather fine variety. The yard is 2 acres, so overlapping enough to catch the track from the right front wheel twice isn't real desirable. Thanks.

dentwizz
Do you have 8" or 10" wide wheels. The 8 are better for traction but I use 10 in summer for mowing because it leaves less tracks from lower ground-pressure. Thats why a lot of fancy units use 12+" wide wheels and the deck uses full width rollers. Its all about reducing contact pressure.

lt-scir
I would take mower off tractor and do a cleaning of the deck. A grass filled deck effects suction. Also make sure the blades are the correct factory blades not a cheep off brand. Just my 2 cents

Deck is pretty clean and the front tires are the stock ones. The rear tires aren't causing the problem. The blades are also stock Simplicity blades in good condition. Guess it's just the fine grass and the fact that he's not trying to mow too short.

sunrunner
Just a thought - When you say good condition do you mean sharpness or over all - 'cause they can be sharp, but when they start to lose the width of the blade you start loosing lift. or does speed of mowing on thin grass type have anything to do with it?? IMO - Chris