Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sign in to follow this  
country

Briggs throttle and governor

country
I just started a briggs I cleaned up and put back together. The shaft for the governor linkage that exits the bock slides in and out quite a bit, enough for the arm to block the throttle linkage. It's been quite a while since I put it back together, and don't recall from the reassembly how to adjust it. From the parts diagram, can anyone help? I can also take some pics of the tractor engine to show how it moves if that will help.

HubbardRA
Loosen the clamp on the governor arm. With a pair of pliers pull outward on the governor shaft, then push the governor arm back till it is snug against the block. You don't want it tight enough to bind, but snug enough to stop the in/out movement. While doing this, rotate the shaft as far as it will turn in the WOT direction, push the governor arm till the carb throttle is Wide Open, and tighten in this position. This will set the governor adjustment.

country
Well, I looked at the outside of the governor assembly, and there is no hole in the rod for this pin. I suppose that means it goes on the inside of block? If so, that means I have to remove the engine from the tractor and pull the pan, blah, blah, blah, all for a darn pin that I missed during reassembly. Well, at least I caught it before it had a chance to damage anything.

country
Based upon responses from Storm and Rod, I looked at it last night for a hole in the rod to accept a pin, and didn't see anything. I'll look again tonight for a hole or a groove. If I don't find one, I'll loosen the arm and slide it over and re-set it per Rod's instructions, which is what I recall from the engine manual as well. Thanks!

country
Ok all, I checked it out again last night. I still could not see a pin, so I decided to take Rod's route and relocate the arm to the rod. When I removed the arm, low and behold, there is the pin and the washer. I had the arm right up against the pin, so that's why I couldn't see it. So, the pin is there, but the the rod can still slide in and out of the block 3/8" to 1/2". I don't see any other kind of spacers to install on the rod either inside or outside the block in the diagram I posted above. Is it ok as is? I can bend the arm slightly so it will clear the rest of the throttle linkage and prevent the binding, but I'm still concerned that the rod movement is excessive.