Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sign in to follow this  
country

Will Kohler Magnum in Craftsman work horizonta?

country
Ok, next question, how many of the parts from a vertical shaft will transfer to a short block horizontal shaft? I assume the heads and flywheel will fit, what about the starter, electronics, flywheel? I think I would need a different carburetor from a horizontal shaft though.

Chris727
Hard to say without looking at parts books. Crafstman also used the horizontal Magnum 18 in some of their late '80s to mid 90's garden tractors, you might watch for one of those instead.

albj93
Hello Darin, There was some discussion about this on the Kohler List on Yahoo groups. Although I can't verify this to be fact, from what I remember, if the block has the flange to be mounted horizontal, you can change the oil pick-up, carb configuration and mufflers and it will work. It had to be the MV18 or MV20 Kohlers. You might want to search the Yahoo Kohler group for more information. Andy Waldorf Md.

PeppyDan
quote:
Originally posted by country
Ok, next question, how many of the parts from a vertical shaft will transfer to a short block horizontal shaft? I assume the heads and flywheel will fit, what about the starter, electronics, flywheel? I think I would need a different carburetor from a horizontal shaft though.
I think you are right on target with what will fit. I do know the crank will also fit but the vertical shaft crank needs some machine work done if you need the shaft in front for an electric clutch or other front driven accessory. Dan