Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sign in to follow this  
sbull78

16 horse sunstar 48in deck question

sbull78
there is a above mentioned sunstar for sale near me for 575 or best offer. it has a 16 horse kohler magnum with 670 hours on it. from the pics it looks like it has 1 hydraulic lift lever and a 48inch deck. i know and have seen the 20 horse versions but not one of these. if everything works is it worth it? Thanks again...shaun

Burntime
I saw that too. It has no hi/low axle and small deck. If you need a tractor it seems reasonable... Its not sought after like the bigger sunstars. Others may disagree, but if it runs good how can you go wrong? That being said I doubt it is still available cause it is priced reasonable... Good luck...

sbull78
thats kinda what i was thinking...i dont need it but i thought i dont have a tractor with the hydraulic lift and it seemed pretty cheap to me. i know they only made these 16 horse one year on the sunstar according to this site and just wondering if they are quality machines as the 18 and 20's but i have learned they do not have some of the options as the others do...who knows if theys still have it and if they do and everthing works i just may pick it up...

sbull78
well, i went to look at mower and pickup, if according to the seller everything was as he said......well i looked at it and he was WRONG!!! the good, the hood was new all the dummy lights worked and the hydro lift and drive was awesome, and it steered very well. Also the deck was in good mechanical shape...the bad, the rear fenders and deck had been repainted very badly...that was enought to overlook except for the part of THE MOTOR!!!!! it kept surging and wouldnt idle up to full power until about 10 seconds after you hit the throttle. it puffed blue smoke and struggled to pull the tractor from a dead stop, so i knew what was going to happen when i put it underload and engaged the deck,,,it was an automatic fogger!! i told the guy that that info would have been useful before i drove and hour to look at it!! So needless to say i didn't get it and he asked what i would give him for it and i told him, the motor is going to have to be gone through and it was missing the dipstick and he had some cap on it and was checking the oil level somehow with a close hanger!!!!OMG!!!i told him i'd give him 300 because it was going to need some work and that i hope he sold it but i doubted it. he said well it mows and i said not for long!!!