Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Opposed Briggs twin charging system regulator?

SmilinSam

Got a horizontal shaft opposed briggs twin. No numbers on it as the shroud parts ar missing that has them, along with the air cleaner assembly. I was wondering what sort of regulator was on these types? Is it built in like other L head singles of the same era?, or is it a separate box type like on th vanguards? Engine so far appears to be Ok, good compression, pretty clean, but no spark. I think the previous owner fried the mag because they used this engine to replace a K301 Kohler in a 712, but continued to use the existing Kohler keyswitch and wired it up running the 12Volt hot wire to the coil on the Kohler into the kill wire on the briggs.

Sam, if you have to yellow wires coming out from underneath indicates that you need a regulator. Briggs only has one that I know of and it measures about 2" X 2" X 3/8" with three wires.

This one just has the red and white( or black..cant remember without going out to look) wires to a clear plastic connector. So that answers that. Thanks Bob:)