Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

7016 pulling hair out

wilm169

Ok, cleaned tank, checked filter, fuel cap, put in new points,cleaned carb, relaped the valves, new head gasket,changed coil, and condenser, and now have no spark. Checked wiring at switch, and still a SO-. Now what??????????? :(:( converted Briggs to coil

Run a wire directly from the battery + terminal to the the coil and see if you have spark then. This will bypass the cutout switches and ignition switch.

Did you replace the ignition switch with a kohler style for battery ignition? When I converted the engine in my sovereign from magneto to battery ignition I had to put some sort of a bypass wire in the system to allow it to get spark using the original ignition switch and wireloom. I don't remember how it was done exactly, always planned on buying a new magneto and converting it back to the original setup.

With the engine stopped in the position where the points are open, take a wire and touch the - side of the coil to ground with the switch on. Touch it on then remove it, repeat this and you should have spark IF you have 12vdc to the + side of the coil. If you do then the problem is in the points. If not then remove the - wire from the coil and retry. If you have no park then you have a bad coil. If you do have spark then you have a bad points wire or a problem still in the points. This step as well as going straight to the coil with 12vdc will isolate the problem.

I had this once. It was when I was trying to use a Briggs style keyswitch with battery ignition. I was supplying 12v to the coil through the accesory tab. Every time I would engage the starter the tab would quit supplying 12v to the coil. Soemtimes the engine would spin fast enough to when I backed the key off start back to run it would let the juice on into the coil and it would try to fire. It just wouldnt fire when the key was in the start position. I switched to a Kohler keyswitch with the I tab and everything worked fine thereafter.

quote:
Originally posted by Roy
Glad you have it running again. ^ Now, are you going to tell us what the problem was????????
What he said.....?

If I knew what I did to get it going I would. All I did was run a wire from the battery to the + side of the coil and it started and kept running after it was removed.???