Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sign in to follow this  
Chuck_Woolery

I need to get a new tractor...which one to get

Chuck_Woolery
Well my 6211 snapped the output shaft on the engine today while mowing and now I need something new (I think I jinx it cause I was just yammering right before to my wife how I've never had a new anything). I would fix it, but I have absolutely no time what-so-ever to work on a tractor right now cause I'm building a garage. I know this site is mainly geared towards the older Simplicities, but I do know you guys know your stuff. I basically have two main options and I'd like to hear what you guys think. Option #1, get a zero turn and fix the 6211 for snowblowing and work duty. I was looking at the Simplicity ZT3000 (in the $3K range new from the local dealer) and the Simplicity Champion (in the $4k range new) both with a 44" deck. Or other zero turns out there, but I like the Simplicity cut and full rollers. I'm leaning more towards the Champion. Option #2, either a new (or like new) Prestige or Conquest with a 54" deck. I'd prefer the Prestige though, and the deck might be a little bigger, but they do have a good tight turning radius which I do need sometimes. Other options are also older Sovereign's or Landlords listed below; http://milwaukee.craigslist.org/grd/1310049672.html http://milwaukee.craigslist.org/grd/1303196401.html http://milwaukee.craigslist.org/grd/1299349766.html http://milwaukee.craigslist.org/grd/1283082486.html I'm still looking for more possible tractors. My neighbor has a mid 90's Sovereign with the Kohler engine and he's had a little bit of trouble with it, but all in all I like the machine. Down side is they are getting older and this is really my first chance at getting something new. Up side is they are cheaper and can use darn near any attachment. I do have a couple of attachments for my 6211, a rotatiller, 2 snowblowers, a spare tractor (unfortunately with no engine), turbo blower, and two 42" decks. So I guess I'm asking is what do you guys think of my options? Any one you'd choose over the other? What would you do? At first I'd almost prefer to go with a zero turn and keep the 6211, but I'm nervous about the non-floating deck on a zero turn and the possibility of scalping the lawn especially through my ditch if I go on an angle. On the other hand if I step up to a large frame tractor I could end up with more attachments and possibly only one tractor (which would make my wife happy). Thanks in advance for your advice, and sorry for the book. Mark

sbull78
mark i have had several 6000 series tractors. i dont know your mowing needs but i would put a nice used motor in it, perhaps a good used 16 horse or bigger twin, you will like that with your snowblower, and if you need the tight mowing get a new zero turn. you will like the cut and the time savings! the best part is you still have old reliable sitting there for work...

RayS
I have a Prestige since they first came out in 2002. Excellent machine. The tiller, revitalizer and snow blowers from the Sovereigns will fit with the correct hitches.

Burntime
Ray, what hitch do you need to go from sovereign to pretiage for a tiller and blower. I passed on a 20something hores 54 inch deck with 150 hours for 3k because I did not know the hitch to use all the attachments... The prestiage are realllllllly nice!

RayS
I will have to do some searching to find the numbers. Any Simplicity dealer would have the numbers as well. Sam has a post archived on all that is needed for the Prestige and Conquest to use the attachments. You need a rear lift for the Prestige and the pulley system for it as well. Here is Sam`s post. http://simpletractors.com/club2/topic.asp?ARCHIVE=true&TOPIC_ID=35635&SearchTerms=snow,blower

Chuck_Woolery
quote:
Originally posted by sbull78
mark i have had several 6000 series tractors. i dont know your mowing needs but i would put a nice used motor in it, perhaps a good used 16 horse or bigger twin, you will like that with your snowblower, and if you need the tight mowing get a new zero turn. you will like the cut and the time savings! the best part is you still have old reliable sitting there for work...
That was my initial intention since I have so much for the 6211 already (I even have a spare Eaton 851 transaxle if I felt like converting it to hydro). I like the tractor, it's a nice size and even with 11 HP it still went through everything I threw at it. Either way I'll probably end up keeping it for a while at least and then fixing it when I have a chance so I can use it around the house for work duty. I'm going to look at these two Landlord DLX's early this week and see if I like them or not. If not then I'll probably demo a zero turn to see if it'll clear my ditch and probably buy one of those. http://milwaukee.craigslist.org/grd/1299349766.html http://madison.craigslist.org/grd/1299176130.html The one with the snowblower would be nice, but so would the hydro lift and power steering. The 54" deck might be an obstacle getting into only one spot on my yard around the sand box, but once the kids grow up I won't need the sand box, or it could be moved. We'll see what happens in the next few days cause with all the rain we've been getting I need to mow the lawn. Thanks again for the opinions Mark

Burntime
Those are both exceptional machines. For snowblowing they have posilock which would be nice. The one in sheboygan has been for sale a long time...I think he started around 3299...

Chuck_Woolery
quote:
Originally posted by Burntime
Those are both exceptional machines. For snowblowing they have posilock which would be nice. The one in sheboygan has been for sale a long time...I think he started around 3299...
Yeah I've seen it listed for a while, and it's nice to see his price is coming down, but it makes me wonder why it's been for sale for so long. I'm not certain if it has hydro lift or not, but I'm guessing it doesn't and I'd really prefer that. If it does I'll probably go with that one. We'll see if he calls back. Mark

Chuck_Woolery
Just and update, if you're interested. Well I bought the Landlord DLX in Sheboygan with the blower and the cab. It's incredibly clean. I'm happy to finally have something newer, and can't wait to get the lawn mowed tonight. The blades on the mower deck still have paint on them as well as the majority of the blower (some paint missing, but it all looks barely used). The tractor still looks new, heck even the tires look brand new. I'm just amazed at how incredibly clean it is. The only downside is no hydro-lift (which would be nice with the blower) or power steering. I can live without power steering, but I want the hydro-lift or at least electric lift, so now I have to find that kit. Mark

MrSteele
A word of advice on whatever you get. for the most part, zero turns are for flat, or nearly flat, ground. If your yard ahs steep areas, you may have to learn how to use a ZTR on a slope, and that may not be what you want in finished product of mowed lawn. A tractor holds the slopes better form any angle that a ZTR. I own both, and use the Landlord for the steep work, as the ZTR front end tries to creep downhill while cutting parallel with the slope. I can cut at an angle with the ZTR, but finished product looks like someone did a hack job when completed. Just a bit of 'been there, done that' information.