Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sign in to follow this  
shaggyhill

B-10 Towing Capacity

shaggyhill
I finally got my new B10 running. After hours of work, it turned out that the gas cap(not origional) was clogged. Anyway, I saw in the brochure on this website that the B-10 could come with a 1000 lb cart. Could my tractor actually tow 1000 pounds? That's almost as much as my little Ford Ranger. Thanks, Paul

Al
Hi, It will pull a lot more than that around if you transfer weight to the the drive wheels. On level ground a person can push a car that weighs 3 or 4 thousand pounds. The sled that we use for garden tractor pulls has 7000 pounds in the weight box that moves forward from the trailer wheels to over the sled in front. They start out with 700 lb stock class tractors and go 1100 lb Pro-Stock tractor with the same sled. They just change the gearing on how fast the weight box moves forward relative to the distance travelled. Don't under estimate what you have. Good luck, Al

shaggyhill
Speaking of stopping what I am towing... I have a terrific hill behind my house -- very steep. Can I overload the tractor by having to much weight in the trailer going downhill. I would have it in first gear, and each place I would have to stop is fairly level.

Kent
This 1964 Simplicity catalog shows a 9 HP Landlord (early B-10 equivalent) pulling over 7.000 pounds ... Wouldn't want to try going up a hill or stopping it quick though! [A href='http://www.simpletractors.com/simplicity/new_in_1964/more_uses.htm'][img src='http://www.simpletractors.com/images/new_in_1964/hay_pg10_small.jpg'][/a]

Kent
Hey Paul! To answer your question, yes, you can "overload" your tractor going downhill. I don't mean "overload" in the same way as going uphill. When your traveling downhill with a load (weight) that same load wants to push your tractor. Your ground speed will increase but your transmission will not, resulting in your tires "skidding" much the same way as trying to stop on ice. You will continue to pick up speed and soon your tires will be "locked up" and you"ll have no control. To try and brake at this point will be useless. The best thing you could do is to jump clear of the tractor and as you do, pull the steering wheel to one side or the other and hope it'll jack-knife itself. Paul, I grew up in the mountains of Tennessee on a farm. Everything I just told you happened to me. The tractor wasn't by any means a garden tractor and the load was alot more than 1,000 lbs. Luckily no one was hurt and no damage was done. Like FiremanRon said, pulling is no problem...what's important is that you must also be able to stop. PLEASE be careful on that hill. One other thing, if you try to pull too much UPHILL, your tractor will loose footing and then you'll be skidding down the same way as already explained...just backwards! If you do wind up in that situation(downhill), the old timers told me to remedy that by increasing tranny speed to "catch up to" ground speed. That never crossed my mind...I was going too fast already, who would want to speed up more? Smokey

Kent
My son in his younger more daring days loaded my trailer with broken concrete and using my old Landlord to pull it. Well I would suspect that the trailer weight is about 500lb and that the concrete was another 1200lb "just a rough guess" to get the point across and he started down a hill with me hollering at him not to do it well he made it to the bottom alright but the trailer was ahead of my Landlord and the concrete needed to be loaded again. Needless to say this is were some good ole common sense comes into play. I can move my 32' travel trailer with my tractor but it the trailer has a tougue wheel on it while doing it and I only move it on level hard ground and the trailer weight is 7200lb according to the weightmaster in our area. But I do it very slow and I also use the electric breaks on the trailer if I feel a run away coming up. I always look at it this way I may be able to push a car up a hill " well at one time" but after awhile when I run out of breath that darn car is just plain going to run me over its that plain-simple. Happy Holidays to all, >>->happyjack<-<<

JimDk
Let me share my safer method of moving heavy loads with a small tractor.Faced with the job of moving tons of stones from the foundation of an old building with our B-210,I fell back on the old horsedrawn method ,better known as a stone boat.Any flat smooth piece of steel will do.A short chain(approx. 2ft.)bolted to the front and you are ready. The chain should be short enough to put some down pressure on the rear tractor tires,but not too short or it will be unsafe.YOU DO NOT,EVER,WANT YOUR FRONT TIRES OFF THE GROUND.You will be amazed by the load you can move with this rig,and it will not run over your tractor when you try to stop.It's a little crude,but it works.Happy Hauling, Jim

Les
I used to use my B-1 to move a 24' pontoon boat around the yard. Have also used it to drag large logs home for firewood. The above replys regarding stopping and hills are correct. One must be careful when towing loads far heavier than the tractor. The tractor will move anything you hook to it if you can get traction. Roy