Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sign in to follow this  
Larry88

Sprint, Transmission Gear Case Assy

Larry88
Recieved my Sprint 830 Saturday morning. After washing off all the dirt that was loose i moved it into the garage to inspect it closely. Pulled the Body & Seat Group to do more checking and more cleaning. Found that no one had taken care of it in a while. 1st on the list was new back tires which i got today. As soon as i pulled the first tire off i found the Transmission Gear Case Assy, Early model all 4 bolts were very loose. Aftrer removing the full gear case Assy i find one of the Transmission Gear Cass Assy End Caps was worn bad. It is tapered from the outside in. Can it be used this was without hurting the Axel? Larry

Larry88
After taking apart the gear case and cleaning it up i find that some one had had big problems. Instead of fixing it right they had everything welded. Gears welded to the Axle's. Pin through the Gear box welded. The person doing the welding didn't know how to weld and splattered everything with burs. One of the gear box gears had a tooth broken out. The gear box welded. Nothing will fit togeather tight. Then when they put things back togeather they used too small of a bolt. So the gear box would keep opening up under use.