Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Uh oh...

cahickm2

Something let loose in the rearend of my 2112 last weekend and I need help diagnosing it before I begin to tear it down. When running and in gear, the axle tube still spins but the wheels dont. Im thining a key got sheared...?

Pull the right side wheel and hub off. Check outthe differential, sounds like it let go. It should be a fairly simple fix without going into the rear end.

What do you mean by "let go"? a key, a gear, or worse? I should add that the hub does not spin either, therefore im thinking its the key between the axle and the hub. Sound right?

You could have sheared a key between the left side axle gear and the axle or the pins between the right side gear and the hub, or, in the worst case, some of the spider gears in the differential could have brokem. In any case, you will not be able to tell till you remove the right side hub and look inside the diff.

There is a differential between that tube and the hubs for each wheel. If the keys/pins related to either side of the diff break, neither will move.

ok well i am getting confused. I'll just have to rear it apart and see whats going on. I thought if the key on the side with the differential got sheared neither wheel would move.

Ck to see if the collar on the left side is loose. Sometimes they will loosen up and let the Axel move to the right disengaging the diff.if that isn't it pull the right hub and check the roll pins holding the gear they sometimes shear. It's best to trouble shot the problem before diving into the rear-end. Keep it simple! Good Luck!!

Well its fixed! I think I decribed the issue incorrectly. Anyways what was wrong was the keys that hold the main gear to the axle inside the hub sheared off. Replaced them and repacked it grease and it's like new.

• 3 months later...
How did you get the sheared roll pins (keys) out of the hub. I have a Big 10 with three roll pins sheared off and stuck in the hub. Only have about 3mm sticking out of the holes in the hub and I cannot grab them with anything.