Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sign in to follow this  
Burntime

I went and made my first thing out of metal.

Burntime
I have been practicing welding for a while. My iron worker buddy is going to make some hitchs so with his watchfull eye I made my first snow thrower hitch. I know for some of you guys this is mundane. For me it was a small victory!

Burntime
Here is another pic...

Just some paint and it should be atached to the 42 inch blower I picked up. I have finally come to the point where I have confidence in my welds. They may not look perfect yet but I have become quite the grinder!!!:D

HubbardRA
Good job, Mike. Did you find drawings for this hitch, or did you just measure another hitch? If you have drawings, could I get a copy?

Burntime
Rod, I have 1 hitch and just copied it. I have parted out a few tractors and had the hull from a 916 sitting in the back yard so I just used my hitch as a template and then assembled it on the front axle. I am actually going to cut the front end off and my buddy is going to get me a plate and some angle iron from work to make a table to work on. It will clamp to the table and he is using my stick welder to make up a few hitches...

Vassal
Great job, looks like a winner! I'm no pro, but I have learned that it's a lot easier to fix my ugly welds with a thick coat of paint rather than a grinder sm06

BLT
quote:
Originally posted by Burntime
Here is another pic...
[img]/club2/attach/Burntime/Hitch1small.JPG[/img]
Just some paint and it should be atached to the 42 inch blower I picked up. I have finally come to the point where I have confidence in my welds. They may not look perfect yet but I have become quite the grinder!!!:D
Mike, a grinder and a reasonable paint coating can make a Donald Duck rendition look like a piece from Rembrandt. You offered me a gift card this spring and I turned it down, but now I see it. Looking good.

Burntime
Well, this one is definitely gonna hold together.:D I definitely got good penetration with the puddle.... But your right. I have had a few do overs already:D I call them mulligans:D

Burntime
Thanks, I already played today for a while and cut 4 of the 6 pieces to do another. I will probably cut up all the steel I have...and will need more of 1 size to make up 2 more. I am getting into this!:D

Burntime

Here is what some free time netted me today. Heres what I made them on. I still need to add the pulley tab and paint but you get the idea.:D Now to start that backhoe:D:D:D

Burntime
ac/dc 220 lincoln. I am no expert but the iron worker buddies say it is a bullet proof machine and will do most of what I need. It is hard to weld real thin stuff but hey, how thin is a tractor part:D So far I have welded decks, snowblowers, and made hitchs. I even welded on the time on a walk behind tiller and its still holding fine.

Simpleton7016
Let me know when you are welding the pulley tabs on. I want to convert an "old style" 2-pulley hitch into a one of these new style ones. We can cut the two tabs off (you can have one of them) and weld them in place for the new-style one pulley numbers. (and yes, I use the trem "we" loosely. I use it the exact way that my dad taught me when he used to say: "we need to go rake leaves" or "we need to bring those logs from the other side of the swamp up to the house"):D

Sign in to follow this